One killed, another shot in separate city incidents


City police reported two men were shot in separate incidents last night, one of them fatally as he apparently was turning away from his killer during a confrontation in the 2200 block of Booth St.

The other shooting victim was listed today in good condition at the University of Maryland Medical Center with gunshot wounds in the chest and right arm.

In the fatal shooting, homicide detective Donald Warden said the body of an unidentified man in his 20s was found in the 2200 block of Booth St. about 2:30 a.m. today by Southwestern District uniformed officers responding to a report of a shooting.

Warden said the victim shot at least once in the lower back and was pronounced dead at the scene.

Warden said information gathered at the scene indicated the victim was seen talking to another man and that it appeared he was turning away from the man when he was shot in the back with a semiautomatic handgun.

The detective said an empty shell casing was found near the body.

Warden said the man had no identification on him, but that he had pieces of note paper in his pockets that contained several telephone numbers with the 212 area code, leading him to believe the man may be a resident of New York or have friends there.

Warden said 2215 Booth St. was given by an area resident as the dead man's address but no one answered when police knocked on the door.

Warden said there were no signs that robbery or drugs were involved in the killing, but that he hasn't ruled out either as a motive.

"We won't know what the motive is," said Warden, "until we identify him and find out what he may have been involved in."

Shortly before 11 p.m., Bradford Dorsey, 44, of the 1400 block of Division St., was sitting on the front steps of his house when a man in his 20s wearing blue pants and a blue hat walked by, stopped and engaged Dorsey in a brief conversation.

Moments later, the man pulled out what appeared to be a .38-caliber revolver and fired three shots at Dorsey at point-blank range, hitting the man once in the chest and once in the right forearm.

The third shot missed Dorsey and struck the house.

Lt. James Henderson, of the Central District, said witnesses reported seeing the gunman casually walk away and turn onto Mosher Street.

Henderson said despite his wounds, Dorsey walked to the home of a neighbor five doors away and told her he had been shot.

The neighbor dialed 911.

From the neighbor's house, Dorsey was transported by ambulance to the hospital, where he was treated in the emergency room and listed today in good condition.

Copyright © 2020, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad