Herbert H. Tyler dies; was former Md. delegate
A Mass of Christian burial for Herbert H. Tyler, a retired tavern and liquor store owner who headed the Baltimore County delegation in the House of Delegates in the 1960s, will be offered at 9 a.m. tomorrow at Immaculate Heart of Mary Roman Catholic Church, 8501 Loch Raven Blvd.
Mr. Tyler, who was 78 and lived on Joppa Road in Towson, died Sunday of kidney failure at St. Joseph Hospital.
In 1957, he ran unsuccessfully for the Baltimore County Council and the next year made a successful bid for a seat in the House of Delegates.
He remained in the House until 1966, when he tried to move up to the Senate and lost. He returned to the House in 1968 to finish the term of a delegate who died. He was defeated in a 1970 bid for re-election.
In addition to being named chairman of the county delegation, heserved as chairman of the Ways and Means Committee. In 1968, he also served as a delegate to the Democratic National Convention.
Before his retirement in 1969, he operated Loch Ridge Liquors and The Lounge at the same location for many years.
A native of Hoopers Island and a graduate of Wesley College in Dover, Del., he came to the Baltimore area in the 1940s.
A former president of the Triangle Democratic Club, he also belonged to the Manor Democratic Club, the Rodgers Forge Democratic Club, the 15th District Democratic Club and the 4th Councilmanic District Democratic Club.
A member of the Holy Name Society at Immaculate Heart of Mary Roman Catholic Church, he also was a member of the Loch Raven Optimist Club, the Loch Raven Rod and Gun Club and the Loch Ridge Merchants' Association.
He is survived by his wife, the former Margaret Bidish; a son, Mark Tyler of Lewes, Del.; three daughters, Mary Joyce Dembinsky of Upperco, Deborah Kaminski of Lutherville and Margo Tyler of Towson; and a grandson.
Services for Renee L. McCree, an interviewer for a marketing research company who was active in the Holy Name Apostolic Church of Jesus, will be held at 7:30 p.m. today at the church at 5345 Park Heights Ave.
Mrs. McCree, who was 42 and lived on Keston Road in Woodlawn, died Friday at the Greater Baltimore Medical Center after a heart attack.
She had worked for the A. H. Interviewing Service for 20 years.
Born in Baltimore, the former Renee L. Thompson was a graduate of Forest Park High School who attended Morgan State University and Western Maryland College.
At her church, she was a member of the board of trustees and president of the Missionary Society and the Women's Auxiliary.
She was also a Sunday school teacher, a volunteer in the prison and nursing home ministries and a member of the Pastor's and Assistant Pastor's Aides.
She is survived by her husband, Don A. McCree; a son, Pastor Doral Pulley of Baltimore; her parents, LaNita B. Brown of Randallstown and Charles Thompson Sr. of San Francisco; a sister, Chiquita Park of Randallstown; and a brother, Charles Thompson Jr. of Los Angeles.
Walter L. Edel
Walter L. Edel, a retired consulting engineer in Baltimore, died of heart failure Wednesday at Memorial Hospital of Easton.
He was 96.
A native of Baltimore and a graduate of the Polytechnic Institute, he earned a bachelor's degree from the Johns Hopkins University in 1920 and a master's degree from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1939, both in mechanical engineering.
He was dean of engineering at the University of Connecticut from 1931 until 1940 and represented the British Admiralty in the United States during World War II in the purchase of heavy ammunition.
Mr. Edel did extensive field engineering for mining and utility companies and held several patents from his work in refrigeration for several companies, including the Davison Chemical Co. in Baltimore from 1921 until 1926 and the Clayton and Lambert Co. in Louisville, Ky., where he served as vice president of engineering and research from 1944 until 1950.
He came back to Baltimore as a consulting engineer, then moved to Oxford in 1967 and to Easton three years ago.
Private services were planned for Mr. Edel, who had no close surviving relatives.
Memorial donations may be made to the Memorial Hospital Foundation, P.O. Box 1846, Easton 21601.
Sarah B. Bartlett
Memorial services for Sarah B. Bartlett will be at 11 a.m. today at St. John's Episcopal Church in Bethesda, where she was an active member.
Mrs. Bartlett, who was 73, died Sunday at Sibley Hospital in Washington after a four-year battle with cancer.
Born in Baltimore, the former Sarah Bennett Wilcox graduated from Garrison Forest School in 1935 and later earned a bachelor of science degree in biology from Sweet Briar College in Virginia.
She married Harry G. Bartlett Jr. of Baltimore in 1941, and the couple moved to the Washington area a year later.
Mrs. Bartlett formerly served as president of the St. John's Episcopal Church Women, chairwoman of the Parish Boundaries Committee and as a member of the Diocesan Finance Committee.
She also was a member of the Colonial Dames of Virginia.
Mrs. Bartlett is survived by her husband, a retired Navy employee; two sons, William L. Bartlett of Frederick and Harry G. Bartlett III of Raleigh, N.C.; a daughter, Anne Bartlett Walton of Sumter, S.C.; and six grandchildren.
The family suggested that memorial donations be made to the William F. Creighton Fountain at St. John's Episcopal Church.
Irma Gill Benisch
Irma Gill Benisch, who taught for many years in the Baltimore city and county public schools, died of pneumonia Friday at the Meridian Nursing Center-Long Green. She was 102.
Married in 1912, she was the wife of the late Edmund F. Benisch, who died in 1958.
She was born in Arcadia and graduated from Franklin High School in Reisterstown. Mrs. Benisch went on to earn a liberal arts degree from what is now Towson State University.
She is survived by one daughter, Hilda Mullan of Baltimore; a son, Thomas M. Benisch of Towson; seven grandchildren; and six great-grandchildren.
Services will be private.
Albert C. Trussell
Albert C. Trussell, who had worked in Baltimore for 14 years during a long insurance career, died Friday at the John Dempsey Hospital in Farmington, Conn., after a long illness. He was 73.
He came to Baltimore in 1960 to work as the designer and assistant general manager of Fidelity and Guaranty Life Insurance Co. for 14years.
At his death, he was chairman of the board for the Bankers Services Corp. Cromwell, Conn.
He is survived by his wife of 50 years, Helen Pilling; three sons, Dr. David W. Trussell of Portland, Me., Stephen A. Trussell of Ocean City, Md., and Peter B. Trussell of Bowie; one daughter, Susan Norman of Fayetteville, N.C.; a sister, Mrs. Ivor B. Wright of Port Washington, N.Y.; 10 grandchildren; and one great-grandson.
The family suggests memorial contributions be sent to the Trinity Church Memorial Fund, P.O. Box 374, Collinsville, Conn. 06022
Services for Mr. Trussell were to be held today in Connecticut.
Warren E. Thomson
A memorial service for Warren E. Thomson, who served as a college official and consultant after retiring from the Department of Defense, will be held at noon today at St. George's Episcopal Parish, Spesutia Church in Perryman.
Mr. Thomson, who was 74 and lived in Edgewood for about six years, died Saturday of congestive heart failure at his home.
He retired in the early 1960s as a scientific research administrator at the Pentagon after starting with the Navy doing similar work about 20 years earlier.
Then for about five years, he served as director of audio visual services for Gallaudet College in Washington and finally was a consultant to research programs until he retired completely and moved from the Washington area to Edgewood.
A native of Everett, Mass., he was a physics major at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology before his graduation in 1938.
He was active in community theater in Washington and with the Edwin Booth Theater in Harford County. The weekend of June 8, a play he wrote and produced, "Murder in the Vestry," with the audience playing detective, was presented at Spesutia Church.
A member of the vestry at the church, he also belonged to the Highland Society of Harford County.
He is survived by his wife, the former Dorothy Chase; four daughters, Janet Stilwell of Towson, Jill Redding of Joppa, Holly Horne of Randleman, N.C., and Heather Krocker of McDonald, Pa.; 10 grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.
Albert D. Goldman
Former company official
Albert D. Goldman, who was an officer of electrical equipment businesses he started, died Saturday after a long illness at his home on Warrenton Road. He was 90.
Mr. Goldman was vice president of the Automotive Electric Parts Service Co. and president of the Able Winding Machine Co., which makes a machine he invented to wind wire on electric motors and generating equipment.
A native of Lithuania who came to Baltimore as a child with his family, he was a graduate of the Polytechnic Institute.
Mr. Goldman was also a collector of pre-Columbian sculpture, most of which he donated to the Baltimore Museum of Art.
He was also the founder of the Telecommunications Center at the Baltimore Hebrew College.
In addition, he and his wife, Esther Lazarus, retired director of the Baltimore Department of Social Services who died in 1980, were supporters of the University of Pennsylvania School of Social Work and other educational and charitable groups.
He is survived by a brother, Yale Goldman, of Pikesville; a sister, Sara Morris, of Boston, and a nephew, Robert Goldman, of Baltimore.
Services for Mr. Goldman will be private.