Angels pitcher Mark Langston is turning back questions about his supposed lack of intestinal fortitude. He has won eight of his last nine decisions and is 5-1 after Angels losses this year. His overall record is 9-2. He didn't reach victory No. 9 last year until Sept. 11.
* The Athletics' top three relievers -- Gene Nelson, Rick Honeycutt and Dennis Eckersley -- pitched in the same game for the first time this year on Wednesday. Last year, they appeared together 16 times and the A's won 15 of those games.
* Mariners pitcher Bill Krueger is only in the starting rotation because the Mariners don't have any other option, but he is making the most of the opportunity. He's 3-1 with a 2.88 ERA in six starts and has pitched into the seventh inning in five of them.
* The Rangers are eager to call up Class AAA prospect Dean Palmer, who has 23 home runs and 59 RBI in less than a half season at Oklahoma City. But there is no room for another third baseman with Steve Buechele off to a very strong start. He has 10 home runs and has committed only one error.
* A's DH Harold Baines entered the weekend with 22 hits and 15 RBI in his previous 47 at-bats. He's batting .464 in June.
* The first-place Twins have a chance to be the first team ever to go from last to first. Nine teams have gone from next-to-last to first, including both of last year's NL division champions and the 1987 world champion Twins.