Maynard stops Mack to keep title


WASHINGTON -- Andrew Maynard intensely stalked Ed Mack around the ring, wobbling him with vicious combinations throughout to win by a technical knockout in the 10th round last night.

Maynard, who was defending his North American Boxing Federation light-heavyweight championship, was declared the winner at 2 minutes, 41 seconds of the 10th round before 1,850 at the Washington Convention Center.

Maynard, the 1988 Olympic light-heavyweight gold medalist from Laurel, opened aggressively.

He had Mack reeling early, pushing him up against the ropes with punishing punches to the head and body

Maynard had Mack severely cut over both eyes by the end of five rounds, but Mack persisted, occasionally connecting with meaningful force. He was off-balance often and hardly troubled Maynard. Yet Maynard couldn't finish Mack off early, as he had predicted.

"My mind went a little lackadaisical," said Maynard. "I went out there and tried to establish something instead of going in there and throwing a lot of punches to take him out."

Fort Washington junior welterweight Michael Ward started the six undercard fights by winning a unanimous six-round decision over Anthony Smith.

The next bout, between junior welterweights Luke Cooper and Anthony Suggs, ended somewhat strangely.

The victim of a barrage of hard rights and lefts to the head, Cooper (4-2) walked away at 2:47 of the second round with Suggs (7-2, five KOs) moving in to deliver more damaging blows.

In a junior welterweight bout between a pair of Washington-area boxers, the ring announcer mistakenly awarded Steve Frederick a majority decision over Tony Pressley. Frederick had taken several stinging jabs to the head in their four-round bout.

However, the ring announcer called out the USA cable television scoring, which had Frederick (2-1) winning. But the judges' cards had Pressley (4-5) ahead.

There was no misunderstanding in the next bout, as USBA lightweight champion Fred Pendleton battered Eric Podlak in a non-title fight to win by a technical knockout at 2:59 of the fifth round. Pendleton (30-17-3, 20 KOs) swiftly moved in, dazing Podlak (14-3) with fierce blows to the head before knocking his opponent's mouthpiece out, forcing referee Marshall Cunningham to stop the fight.

In the next fight, Lanham's Andrew Council and Washington's Mpush Mapule fought to a four-round majority draw.

Copyright © 2020, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad