BWI7 hurt in turbulence during KLM flightSix...



7 hurt in turbulence during KLM flight

Six flight attendants and one passenger were injured yesterday afternoon when a KLM Royal Dutch Airlines 747 bound for Baltimore-Washington International Airport was shaken by thunderstorms over New York.

Flight 651 and its 258 passengers landed safely in Baltimore at 3:35 p.m., but in the five seconds of turbulence, the arm of one crew member and the hand of another were broken, said Odette Fodor-Gernaert, manager of public relations for KLM. .

The seven injured people were taken to area hospitals by three ambulances that met the plane, she said. The turbulence occurred about 20 minutes away from Baltimore as the 747 descended from an altitude of 23,000 feet to 20,000 feet.

The seat belt sign was on, and almost all the passengers were strapped in, Ms. Fodor-Gernaert said. But the flight attendants were preparing the plane for landing and were thrown around the cabin.

Man killed in shootout at Oxon Hill residence

A 20-year-old Fort Washington man who allegedly broke into an Oxon Hill house Saturday was fatally shot during an exchange of gunfire inthe living room, Prince George's County police said yesterday.

Warren Andro Carlos of the 3300 block of Stonesboro Road died of a single gunshot wound to the chest at Southern Maryland Hospital.

Police said that he and another man had gone to a home in the 300 block of Loureiro Lane, burst in through a back patio door and started shooting shortly before midnight. At least one occupant returned fire, hitting Mr. Carlos.

A 40-year-old resident of the home was hit in the leg by gunfire. Police refused to release the man's name.

The mortally wounded Mr. Carlos was driven away by a companion who stopped at a nearby fire station to request help. Mr. Carlos died at the hospital a short time later.

Police said Damon Allen Sells, 22, of the 6900 block Elkins Avenue, Oxon Hill, was charged with armed robbery. A third person believed to have taken the men to the house was being sought. Police said no one was charged with shooting Mr. Carlos.

Washington woman killed in accident


A Washington woman was killed Saturday night when the car she was driving crashed into the Takoma Park fire station on East-West Highway, Takoma Park police said.

Phyllis May Beckwith, 78, of Rittenhouse Street N.E., died at Washington Adventist Hospital.


Momentary power loss affects about 1 million

A malfunction at a Baltimore Gas & Electric Co. power plant in Baltimore Saturday afternoon caused a momentary blackout for about 1 million customers across Central Maryland, a spokesman for the utility said yesterday.

The power loss occurred between 3:17 p.m. and 3:23 p.m. when a circuit breaker at BG&E;'s Westport power plant blew out because of a malfunction in a transformer, spokeswoman Peg Mulloy said.

She said that power to all BG&E;'s approximately 1 million electrical customers was affected, but that service was restored within seconds.

Ms. Mulloy said that circuits fed by the malfunctioning transformer were automatically transferred to another feeder line, so there was only a brief "voltage dip." The malfunction caused lights to flicker and shut off television sets, microwave ovens, digital clocks and radios that have power safety features that make them sensitive to power fluctuations.

Men charged in beating after vehicle accident


Two Anne Arundel County men were charged yesterday with beating and kidnapping a man after their pickup truck collided with a car in front of a Baltimore bar.

Toll Facilities Police said a Ford Thunderbird was involved in an accident with a Chevy pickup truck outside a Southeast Baltimore tavern at about 1:30 a.m. An argument ensued, and a passenger in the Ford, Roberto Amadis of the 600 block of Lehigh Street, was beaten with a tire iron, police said.

The occupants of the pickup truck drove off, and Mr. Amadis and two other people followed them. The Ford sped ahead of the truck and stopped at the toll both on Interstate 895.

Police said Mr. Amadis was grabbed and hauled partly into the truck when he walked up. The truck sped off with him dangling out of the window, police said. Mr. Amadis was able to get into the back of the truck, but was again beaten by one of the men, who broke out the back window, police said. The truck slowed about three miles from the toll booth, and Mr. Amadis jumped out.

Anthony Banks, 22, of the 8200 block Manaegan Court, Severn, and Smith Buchanan, 22, of the 8200 block Kilmory Court, Severn, were charged with three counts of battery and possession of a deadly weapon and one count each of assault with intent to murder and kidnapping.

Copyright © 2020, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad