Feds act to prevent bail release of Canadian soldier U.S. authorities get arrest warrant, file detainer at Canadian request.


Federal authorities in Baltimore have obtained an arrest warrant and filed a detainer against one of two Canadian soldiers charged with the attempted murders of two State Police troopers last week.

Special Assistant U.S. Attorney Michael C. Heineman said yesterday he obtained the federal warrant at the request of the Canadian Department of Justice to prevent the possible release of Pvt. Eric William Schumacher, 21, on bail in Anne Arundel County on the attempted murder charges.

Heineman said Canadian officials requested help from U.S. authorities officials after they got word that Schumacher's father was en route to Annapolis to post his son's $350,000 bail.

Judge Norman P. Ramsey signed the warrant in U.S. District Court here on the strength of a complaint that said Schumacher and co-defendant Donald Roger Nelson, 20, who were arrested on state charges here, also are wanted in Canada on charges tied to the May 30 shooting of a constable in Toronto.

Heineman said in the federal complaint that Canadian prosecutors intend to seek Schumacher's return under terms of a U.S.-Canada extradition treaty.

"The federal warrant and detainer will not kick in unless Schumacher is able to post bond in the county," Heineman said. "The Canadian Justice Department doesn't want him going anywhere."

Schumacher, of Montreal, is charged in Canada with attempted murder tied to the constable's shooting outside the Toronto Skydome.

Nelson, of Vancouver, B.C., is charged in that case as being an accessory after the fact.

Heineman said Canadian officials did not seek to detain Nelson here because he cannot be extradited for that offense under the treaty.

State Police said Schumacher and Nelson fled into a woods near Davidsonville last Thursday night after they exchanged gunfire with troopers who stopped them as they were hitchhiking along U.S. 50.

Schumacher was arrested Saturday along I-97 in Crownsville after a 41-hour manhunt.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad