Slayings of three men investigated One man shot at least 15 times in what may be a drug-related killing.


Police today were investigating the fatal shootings of three men, including one who was shot at least 15 times in an apparent drug-related incident.

One of the three victims, Lawrence Edward Coleman, 34, of the 2800 block of W. Cold Spring Lane, was shot Monday night and died yesterday at Sinai Hospital.

In the most recent incident, a woman was driving near the General Motors Corp. plant at 2122 Broening Highway shortly after midnight when she saw a man lying in a field and told the police.

Southeastern District officers responded and found the body of a fully clothed, unidentified man who had been shot in the head several times. There were no signs of robbery, police said.

Police said the man carried no identification and was not recognized by any of several plant personnel who were at the scene.

The field is owned by General Motors, but the public has access to it, police said.

The body was taken to the state medical examiner's office for an autopsy and identification, police said.

In West Baltimore about 5 p.m. yesterday, two gunmen chased an unidentified man into the 1800 block of W. Fayette St. and fired more than a dozen bullets into his body, police said. The gunmen escaped .

The victim, who police said was from New York and in his early 20s, was pronounced dead at the scene. He had at least 15 gunshot wounds in various parts of his body, police said. The shooting appeared to be drug-related, police said.

Police said the victim was standing on the southwest corner of the 1900 block of W. Fayette St. about 5 p.m. when he was approached by two men armed with large-caliber semi-automatic handguns.

The gunmen fired several shots at the man, who, despite being wounded, began running, police said. In the 1800 block, he fell.

Witnesses told police the gunmen then stood over the victim and fired more shots into his body, hitting him in the neck, right shoulder, right jaw, lower lip, head, leg, left shoulder, left elbow and buttocks.

The victim was to be fingerprinted today at the state medical examiner's office in an effort to identify him, police said.

On Monday night, Coleman was with his girlfriend in a playground behind the 4100 block of Park Heights Ave., when a man walked up and tried to steal the camera they were selling, police said.

Police said that when Coleman resisted, the man shot him, the bullet piercing Coleman's arm and finally lodging in his left chest.

Coleman died at yesterday at Sinai Hospital, police said.

Copyright © 2020, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad