Shane Patterson climaxed a strong youth movement in the Maryland State amateur golf championship at Bethesda Country Club when he won the title with a 3-and-2 victory over Steve Thomas.
Patterson, 20, of Norbeck CC replaces the Country Club of Maryland's Charlie Harris, who at age 54, was the championship's oldest winner last year.
In winning the crown, Patterson finished what 15-year-old Chris York had set up earlier in the tournament. Before bowing to Patterson in the semifinal, York, playing over his home course, had eliminated three strong contenders, including seven-time champion Marty West.
Patterson had a close struggle with Thomas of Crofton CC in the scheduled 36-hole final. Patterson held a five -up lead up after 26 holes,but saw his opponent win five straight holes to put the finalists even with five holes to play
Patterson a former member of LSU's top-ranked college team,made a strong comeback,however,as he won the 32nd hole with a birdie,the 33rd with a par and the 34th with a birdie to close the match
elsewhere in area golf:
Longview -- George Burton and Greg Lawson reached the club's Match Play Championship final. In the semifinals, Burton defeated Marvin Bordenski 4-3 and Lawson stopped John Kogler 3-1.
* Rolling Road -- The team of Bob Slaght and Jim Harrington captured the President's Cup, defeating Mike Dooley and Steve Fisher in the final. In the first flight, Warren Cooper and Mike Sunderland defeated Frank Page and Guy Daniello.
The club's Member-Guest tournament went to the foursome of Bill Packo, Bob Linthicum, Jerry Valenstein and Frank Revill, scoring 113.
Winners in the McGinnis tourney were: George Linder 76-11--65, Dave Amey 82-17--65, Don McCartney 79-14-65 and Charles Galunas 85--20--65.Monty page won low gross with 71.
Winter Run-- Tom and Linda Pugh won the couple tourney,carding 53. Other leaders were Donna and Glen Rowe 56 and george Trimble and Virginia Kerber 62
Piney Branch -- Dave Heiberg and George Knouse posted 146 to win the championship flight in the scramble tourney. Other winning teams were George Fanshaw and Ray Stewart in the first flight and Peck Rhoten and Finbarr Murphy in the second. In the women's division, Phyliss Zumbrum and Connie Henderson won the championship flight and Doris Bright and Becky Parks led the first flight.
* Sparrows Point -- Winning two-ball teams were: 43-Don Edwards and Isobel Litrenta, 43-Charles Mock and Peg Tritle and 44-John Litrenta and Norma Barrett.
* Chestnut Ridge -- Paul Bekman and Ira Weiner were overall winners of the two-man team competition. Daily winning combinations were Barry and Jayson Walpert, Clint Little and John Shilling, and Bob Bergman and Hal Goldberg.
* Hillendale -- The team of Frank Bart, Jack Kaminski, Dan McCrone and John Bausman won low gross with a 148 score in foursome play. Winning low net teams were 119-Mike Egan, George Miller, Bud Breidenbaugh and Robbie Robertson; 129-Al Johnson, Chuck Sudina, Ed Plummer and Gary Dorsch; and 130-Tom Tumilowicz, Mike Karsner, Ray Hein and Harry McDonald.
* Turf Valley -- Jack Wicklein's 76 won low gross in individual play. Net winners were Kit Cordico 78-17--61, Al Valente 84-21--63 and Phil Markman 77-12--65.
* Chartwell -- Overall winners of the 54-hole team play were John Irvine and Rick Messick. Winning flight teams were Lee Bench and Bob Fiertz, Mike Gately and Mel Renshaw, Mike Fedor and Charles Skipper and Dave Brinks and E.C. Townsend. Al Gast and Chris Hartman won low gross.
* C.C. of Md. -- Low gross prize winners in the Skins Game included Will Baukhages, Clark Hargest, John Bartholomew and Alan Anthony. Net winners were: Jack Cobo, Tom Wagner, Alan Anthony, Dirk Davidson, Clint Hayes, Coni Lanzi, Bill Eggleston, Jim Ringold, Jack Neely, Ed Barczak, Bill Scriba, Oscar Ginibaldi, Chuck Franklin.
* Suburban -- Winning teams in the junior scramble event were: 44-Jon Weiner, David Rosen, Alison Hirsh and Scott Mendelsonl; 46-Jess Rosen, Brad Friedlander, Melanie Gaber and Ryan Yospe; and 46-Steven Keen, Gregg Lederman, Holly Hensley and Corey Gaber.
* Woodholme -- A score of 58, posted by the team of Mark Komins, Abe Adler, Bernie Brown and Sandy Desser, won the "Femme Fatale" tournament. Tied for second with scores of 61 were: Arnold Plant, Elliott Goldberg, Ben Blum and Ruth Kravitz; and Larry Becker, Steve Brickell, Harriett Offit and Karen Fireman.
* Carroll Park -- Dan Williams won the Spring Championship, scoring 73. He was followed by Sylvan Johnson 76 and Armen Brown 78. Leaders in A-flight were Bill Miller 76, Steve McCray 80 and Mark Young 81. The B-flight leaders were Paul Burchell 87 and Louis Wright 90.
* Forest Park -- Winning teams in the Guys and Dolls tourney included 61-Keith Henderson, Michele Williams and Charles Williams;63-Willie Smith, Chuck Cole, Dallas Griffin and Phobie Johnson; and 63-Sonny Reynolds, Don Bailey, Sarah Martin and Shelby Holmes.
* Hunt Valley -- There was a three-way tie in the scramble competition. Those teams with 108 net totals were Rich Pragel and John Davidson, Tom Sterrett and Carmine Picerilli and Ed McCloskey and Scott Frazier. The combination of Rob Bertazon and Tom Fischer won low gross with 127.
* Wakefield -- Leading teams in mixed two-ball foursome play were: 63-Elda and Wayne Fountain, 63-Mary Ann and Tom Zgorski, 63-Janet and Bob Heltibridle, 63-Diane and Bob Blubaugh, 65-Pat and Dale Smith, 65-Mary and Bob Hoy and 65-Alice Griggs and Bruce Coyle.
* Baltimore CC -- Nick Jackson and Paul O'Leary won low net with a 126 score in the Member-Guest Tournament. Low gross went to the team of Paul Obrecht and Robert Gengras,