Charles J. MyersWestern Electric workerCharles J. Myers,...


Charles J. Myers

Western Electric worker

Charles J. Myers, who worked for the Western Electric Co. for more than 40 years before his retirement in 1981, died of pneumonia May 24 at Mercy Medical Center. He was 72.

Mr. Myers, who lived on East Lake Avenue, worked in the cable shop at the Point Breeze plant of the telephone equipment company, now AT&T; Technologies.

Born in Baltimore, he was a graduate of St. Elizabeth's School and the Polytechnic Institute.

He was drafted in 1940 and served in the Army's 70th Tank Battalion throughout World War II. He was decorated by both the U.S. and Belgian governments after serving as a tank driver or radio man in landings in North Africa, in Sicily and at Utah Beach in the Normandy landings.

He later served as president and, for the past 14 years, as secretary-treasurer of the 70th Tank Battalion Association. Mr. Myers and his wife made several trips to Europe to visit Utah Beach since he retired. He also contributed material to the World War II Museum at Utah Beach.

In his youth, Mr. Myers played tennis, soccer and baseball. He later coached youth baseball teams at the Shrine of the Little Flower.

He is survived by his wife of 44 years, the former Edythe V. McManus; four sons, Charles J. Myers, John F. Myers and Joseph J. Myers, all of Baltimore, and J. Thomas Myers of Winter Park, Fla.; and three daughters, Mary K. Barnett of Timonium, Virginia A. Heimbach of Abingdon and Jane F. Riley of Collegeville, Pa.

The family suggested memorial contributions to the Battle of Normandy Foundation in Washington.

A Mass of Christian burial was offered for Mr. Myers at the Shrine of the Little Flower on May 28.

Roger Floyd Brown

Chessie executive

Roger Floyd Brown, a retired vice president of the Chessie System, now CSX Transportation, who once worked in Baltimore, died May 28 at a hospital in Sarasota, Fla., after an illness of three years. He was 80.

He retired in 1975 and moved to Florida from Cleveland, where he worked many years for the Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad. The native of St. Paul, Minn., was an accountant.

He worked in Baltimore in the 1960s after the merger of the Baltimore and Ohio and the Chesapeake and Ohio railroads.

Services were private. He is survived by his wife, the former Dorothy Kitch; two daughters, Barbara Gayle Metzger and Donna Brown Grossman, both of McLean, Va.; and two grandsons.

Doris Alston

S&L; collector

Services for Doris Alston, a collector for the Loyola Federal Savings and Loan Association, will be held at noon Monday at the Nutter Funeral Home, 2501 Gwynns Falls Parkway.

Mrs. Alston, who was 28 and lived on Dogwood Road in Woodlawn, died of pneumonia and asthma Wednesday at the Greater Baltimore Medical Center.

She had worked for Loyola Federal for about three years. Earlier, she managed a family-owned tavern on Hollins Street and worked for Citibank.

Born in Baltimore, the former Doris Davis was a graduate of Walbrook High School and attended Coppin State College.

Her husband, Craig E. Alston, is a radiology technician at Liberty Medical Center.

In addition to her husband, survivors include a daughter, LaShonda Alston of Woodlawn; her mother and stepfather, Doris and Edward Jenkins of Baltimore; two brothers, James and Edward Brown, both of Baltimore; and four sisters, Ann Fletcher and Denise, Lisa and Patricia Davis, all of Baltimore.

Frank J. Thiess

Owned men's shop

Frank J. Thiess, retired owner of a men's shop in Washington, died of heart failure and pneumonia May 27 at the Greater Baltimore Medical Center.

Mr. Thiess, who was 91 and lived in the Fellowship Court Apartments in Towson, retired nearly 20 years ago as owner of the Irving Shop, which he operated in the district.

Earlier, he had worked at Hutzler's. The Baltimore native was a graduate of the Polytechnic Institute.

Mr. Thiess lived in Silver Spring for many years until the death of his wife, the former Gladys I. Burton, in 1984.

He is survived by a daughter, Mary Elaine Cunningham of Towson; four grandchildren; two great-grandchildren; and a great-great-granddaughter.

A memorial service was held May 29 at the Mitchell-Wiedefeld Funeral Home.

Carl B. Hurd

Former hotel manager

Carl B. Hurd, former general manager of the downtown Holiday Inn, died of cancer Saturday at a hospital in Alton, Ill.

Mr. Hurd, who was 71 and lived in Elsah, Ill., retired in 1984 as general manager of the Ramada-O'Hare Inn in Chicago, a job he had held since leaving Baltimore in 1977.

The Cleveland native, who served in the Army during World War II, had managed several other hotels before coming to Baltimore in 1964. While in Baltimore, he received a mayoral citation for his support of the construction of the Convention Center. He also served as chairman of the board and as a lay reader at the Second Church of Christ.

He is survived by a son, Richard Fox of Anaheim, Calif. At Mr. Hurd's request, no services were planned.

H. Emory Mearns

Retired billing clerk

H. Emory Mearns, retired billing clerk for the L.A. Benson Co., died of respiratory illness May 31 at St. Joseph Hospital.

Mr. Mearns, who was 75 and lived on Castle Drive in Towson, retired about 10 years ago after 40 years with the industrial equipment company.

Born in Eldersburg, he was educated at the Buckingham School for Boys. Mr. Mearns served in the Army in World War II in Europe and during the occupation of Japan.

His survivors include two sisters, Marjorie V. Miller of Amherst, Va., and Lillian Patricia Gordon of Dayton, Ohio.

Services were private.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad