Gina CourtalisTowson salesclerkServices for Gina Courtalis, a...


Gina Courtalis

Towson salesclerk

Services for Gina Courtalis, a Perry Hall resident who worked at the Nutri-System Weight Loss Center at Towson Market Place, will be held at 11 a.m. today at St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church, 2504 Cub Hill Road.

Miss Courtalis, who was 22 and lived on Darnall Road, was found slain early Sunday at the Towson store. A cleaning service employee has been charged.

She had worked for Nutri-System for 18 months and received commendations for her work. She was in a management training program and also trained new employees at various centers.

Earlier, Miss Courtalis sold automobile accessories at Toyota dealerships.

Born in Baltimore, she was a 1986 graduate of Perry Hall High School.

At St. Demetrios Church, Miss Courtalis did volunteer charitable work with the Youth Adult League. She also worked to raise money for the Cyprus Children's Relief Fund.

She is survived by her parents, Gus and Tina Courtalis of Perry Hall; a brother, Nick Courtalis of Perry Hall; a sister, Letta Courtalis of Perry Hall; her maternal grandparents, Michail and Nicholeta Tounta of Athens, Greece; and many aunts, uncles and cousins.

George Sauerhoff

Former lamplighter

Services for George Sauerhoff, who had been a lamplighter and a builder of gas street lamps, will be held at 11 a.m. today at the G. Truman Schwab Funeral Home, 3512 Frederick Ave.

Mr. Sauerhoff, who was 86, died of cancer Tuesday at the home of a daughter in Irvington.

He retired nearly 20 years ago as a foreman with Welsbach Corp. In his 49 years with the company, he also repaired and built gas lamps and made reproductions of them and other historic street lamps. He also worked as a lamplighter.

Born in Woodbury, N.J., he came to Baltimore as a young man.

A baritone who also played the guitar and harmonica, he liked to perform popular music from the 1920s to the 1950s.

His wife, the former Fannie Decker, died in 1987.

He is survived by eight daughters, Carol Pals, Margaret Gregory, Ruth Gregory and Georgeann Myers, all of Irvington, Elizabeth M. Smith of Sykesville, Barbara Stinchcomb of Baltimore, Marlene Biddle of Lansdowne and Catherine Rothenhoefer of Ellicott City; 21 grandchildren; and 33 great-grandchildren.

Richard Denniston

Air Force sergeant

Graveside services for Air Force Master Sgt. Richard Denniston, who died May 28 after an apparent heart attack in Amsterdam, Netherlands, where he was stationed, will be held at 11:30 a.m. today at St. Stanislaus Cemetery, Dundalk Avenue and Boston Street.

Sergeant Denniston, who was 44 and lived in Brunssum, Netherlands, had served in the Air Force for 26 years.

Born in Baltimore and raised in the Canton area, he was a 1965 graduate of Archbishop Curley High School.

While stationed around the world, he was such a big fan of the Orioles that he watched or listened to delayed broadcasts of games even though he already knew the score.

He is survived by his wife, Lumduan Denniston; a son, Richard Denniston Jr. of Brunssum; two daughters, Diane Krok of Largo, Fla., and Delores Cruz of Miami; and a brother, John Denniston of Fayetteville, N.C.

Isabelle L. Krupa

Clerk, saleswoman

A memorial service for Isabelle L. Krupa, who had worked for the Social Security Administration and sold children's clothing, will be held at 7 p.m. today at the Aisquith Presbyterian Church, 7515 Harford Road.

Mrs. Krupa, who was 75 and a resident of Pasadena, died Monday at the Good Samaritan Hospital after a long illness.

She retired five years ago after working 10 years as a clerk at the Social Security Administration headquarters in Woodlawn.

In the 1960s, she had been a sales clerk in the children's department at the Stewart and Co. store on York Road.

Earlier, she worked in children's departments at other stores.

Born in Baltimore, the former Isabelle L. Potocki was a graduate of Eastern High School and attended Goucher College.

She had been visiting Poland with her father and a sister when the fighting that led up to World War II broke out there, and she was nearly trapped.

Her sister remained there with their father, who was later killed by the Russians, but she returned to the United States as a refugee before the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor.

After the war, she worked for the Red Cross with refugees and was sent to Chicago, where she met her husband, Frank S. Krupa, who was a student in an English class she taught.

Mr. Krupa, who served as a manager at Hollander's Restaurant, died in 1975.

Mrs. Krupa eventually was reunited with her sister, Mira Brill, who died in Baltimore in 1983.

Mrs. Krupa is survived by a daughter, Kristina M. Krupa of Pasadena; two grandchildren; and a great-granddaughter.

Copyright © 2020, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad