ANAHEIM, Calif. -- Frank Robinson wouldn't say exactly which lineup he'll use in tonight's series finale against the California Angels (10:35, no TV).
"I don't know what I'm going to do between now and tomorrow [tonight]," said Robinson, who introduced a new-look lineup in yesterday's 6-4 loss.
Robinson moved Dwight Evans, who had been hitting fourth or fifth, into the second spot and put Randy Milligan in the cleanup spot against lefthander Jim Abbott. "It's a move designed to possibly help make the hitters feel more comfortable," Robinson said.
Milligan, hitting .183 after going 1-for-4 yesterday and contributing his third RBI, is the primary individual involved. "The thinking was that maybe he was thinking too much about going to rightfield, or walking [while batting second]," said Robinson. "Maybe he'll be better off if we drop him down and just let him concentrate on driving in some runs."
Besides dropping Milligan in the order, Robinson also moved Chris Hoiles up to the fifth spot in the order. The catcher responded with his first run batted in of the year, on a sacrifice fly, and had four impressive at-bats, his best plate performance of the year.
With righthander Scott Lewis (1-1, 5.24) pitching for the Angels tonight, it remained to be seen whether Robinson would stay with the new look for another game. Sam Horn will be in the lineup as the designated hitter, but the positioning of the lineup is undetermined.
The Orioles will be trying to salvage a split of the four-game series when they send Jose Mesa (2-3, 2.87) to the mound. The second-year righthander has been the Orioles' most consistent starter, even though he has struggled at times.
* YOU'VE EARNED IT: Those left at the end of Seattle's 16-inning, 5-4 win got a free ticket to another game. After 5 hours, 31 minutes, they deserved more.
* TURN: On a pace for their fewest runs scored in a season, the Indians bombed the A's for 35 runs and 40 hits in two lopsided wins.
* WHEN: Today, 10:35 p.m.
(No TV, WBAL-AM 1090, WTOP-AM 1500)
* WHERE: Anaheim Stadium.
* SEASON SERIES: The Angels lead 2-1.
* PITCHERS: The Orioles' Jose Mesa (2-3, 2.87) vs. the Angels' Scott Lewis (1-1, 5.24).
* EXTRA BASES: Cal Ripken made his first error of the season and only his second in the past 148 games. Cal and Bill Ripken made errors in the same game for the fourth time in their careers . . . The Orioles have lost nine of their last 13 . . . Bob Melvin has the GWRBI in each of the last four games in which he has driven in a run . . . Orioles catchers have thrown out eight of 17 baserunners (.471) . . . The Orioles have just three players batting more than .250 . . . For the season, the Birds are 29-for-164 (.177) with men in scoring position.