Football player at TSU charged in beating of student Victim's neck was broken during off-campus brawl


Based on preliminary information from police, The Sun reported incorrectly in its editions of Monday and Tuesday that Kevin Greimel, a Towson State University student, had his neck broken in a fight with another student. A spokesman for the Maryland Shock Trauma Center said yesterday that Mr. Greimel suffered multiple facial fractures and abrasions.

The Sun regrets the error.

A Towson State University football player was arrested early yesterday for allegedly breaking the neck of another student in a fight in Hillendale.

Gregory Andress, a 6-foot 2-inch, 236-pound linebacker, was charged with assault with intent to murder in the beating of 21-year-old Kevin Greimel, police said.

The two men were leaving a party together in the 1500 block of Taylor Avenue when the fight began shortly after 3 a.m.

Baltimore County police officer Joseph Yeater, who investigated the beating, said Mr. Andress got angry when Mr. Greimel threw a cup out of his pickup truck. The students had been drinking and the confrontation quickly escalated on the side of the road.

"It seems like they were wrestling around for a while," the officer said. "Then Greg grabbed Kevin and slammed his head into the ground. Once he got started, he didn't know when to stop."

Four other students pulled Mr. Andress off Mr. Greimel, who was bleeding badly, police said. The group drove Mr. Greimel to St. Joseph Hospital in Towson.

The group initially told an emergency room doctor that they had found Mr. Greimel lying on the ground at the corner of York Road and Burke Avenue on the edge of the Towson State campus. They sat in the waiting room for a while, but then left.

An emergency room receptionist described the blue Chevrolet pickup truck to Baltimore County police. They asked campus police to search for the truck, which was later found and traced to Mr. Andress, a 21-year-old junior from Waldorf who lives on the Towson campus.

Police discovered blood in the truck bed, in the passenger seat and on the roof. When questioned, Mr. Andress told police he and Mr. Greimel had been in a fight, which was broken up by the four other friends.

After being charged, Mr. Andress was released on his own recognizance, police said. Mr. Greimel was transferred to the Maryland Shock Trauma Center, where a spokesman said he was in satisfactory condition last night.

Mr. Andress, an accounting major, was not a starter on the football team but played last season because of injuries to teammates, said Peter Schlehr, the university's sports information director.

University officials were informed of the arrest and planned to meet today to consider what action, if any, to take, said Towson President Hoke L. Smith.

Although the fight happened off campus, the university can take disciplinary action if it decides Mr. Andress poses a threat to other students, Dr. Smith said. Towson State could force Mr. Andress to leave the university, evict him from the residence halls or limit his movements on campus.

His eligibility for the football team would depend on whether he is allowed to stay at the university and under what circumstances, Dr. Smith said.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad