TALLADEGA, Ala. -- Rusty Wallace fought off a succession of challenges yesterday to win the second round of the 1991 International Race of Champions series.
Wallace earned his second IROC victory by holding off fellow NASCAR star Bill Elliott on the last lap around the 2.66-mile, high-banked Talladega Superspeedway oval.
The 38-lap, 101.08-mile event was interrupted by rain after only three laps, but was finished with the sun breaking through heavy clouds.
Geoff Bodine and Elliott tangled on the backstretch after three laps of green flag racing.
While the safety crew was gathering up Bodine's car, rain, which had delayed the start of the second of four rounds of IROC by nearly 2 1/2 hours, began to fall again.
It took almost two more hours to dry the track and resume the race, with defending NASCAR Winston Cup champion Dale Earnhardt leading defending CART Indy-car champion Al Unser Jr. in the battle of identically-prepared Dodge Daytonas.
On what would have been the sixth lap, Wallace darted in the the lead and road racer Dorsey Schroeder, trying to follow, suddenly veered sideways in front of most of the speeding field.
Schroeder did one barrel roll, flipping high into the air and skidding over Earnhardt's car, then flipped 1 1/2 more times in the wet grass on the inside of the backstretch.
1. (3) Rusty Wallace, Concord, N.C., NASCAR stock car, 38, 26, 187.958; 2. (11) Bill Elliott, Dawsonville, Ga., NASCAR stock car, 38, 20; 3. (6) Mark Martin, Jamestown, N.C., NASCAR stock car, 38, 16; 4. (12) Scott Pruett, Dublin, Ohio, CART Indy-car, 38, 12; 5. (5) Geoff Brabham, Australia, IMSA GTP sports car, 38, 10; 6. (10) Al Unser, Albuquerque, N.M., CART Indy-car, 38, 9; 7. (8) Tommy Kendall, LaCanada, Calif., SCCA Trans-Am, 38, 8; 8. (2) Bob Wollek, France, IMSA GTP sports car, 37, 7; 9. (1) Dale Earnhardt, Doolie, N.C., NASCAR stock car, 36, 6; 10. (9) Al Unser Jr., Albuquerque, N.M., CART Indy-car, 5, crash, 5; 11. (4) Dorsey Schroeder, Ballwin, Mo., IMSA GTO sports car, 5, crash, 4; 12. (7) Geoff Bodine, Julian, N.C., NASCAR stock car, 3, crash, 3.
Time of race: 32:16. Margin of victory: 1 car-length. Caution flags: (laps not counted). (Race also red-flagged because of rain for 2 hours at completion of first 3 laps). Lead changes: 9 among 6 drivers; Lap leaders: Wallace 1-2; Earnhardt 3-4; Wallace 5; Pruett 6; Martin 7-10; Elliott 11-14; Wallace 15-18; Kendall 19-20; Wallace 21-38.
All drivers in identically prepared IROC Dodge Daytonas. Wallace, Elliott and Martin earned bonus points for being the top 3 lap leaders. All prize money awarded on the basis of final standings in 4-race series.
Series standings (After two of four races)--1. Pruett, 38; 2. Elliott, 37; 3. Wallace, 34; 4. Martin, 24; 5. Unser, 23; 6. Unser Jr., 19; 7. Kendall, 18; 8. Brabham, 17; 9. Bodine, 12; 10. Wollek, 11; 11. Schroeder, 10; 12. Earnhardt, 9.
TALLADEGA, Ala. -- If ever there was a NASCAR race that was up for grabs, it is today's Winston 500.
With the latest engine restrictions reducing horsepower on Talladega Superspeedway's 2.66-mile oval and the parity that has seen seven winners in eight races this season, the 188-lap event is filled with uncertainty.
Ricky Rudd, holding a 42-point lead over defending Winston Cup and Winston 500 champion Dale Earnhardt in the 1991 standings, said, "I think you are going to see one of the better Talladega races you have seen in quite some time."
1. Ernie Irvan, Rockwell, N.C., Chevrolet Lumina, 195.186; 2. Harry Gant, Taylorsville, N.C., Oldsmobile Cutlass, 194.963; 3. Kyle Petty, High Point, N.C., Pontiac Grand Prix, 194.852; 4. Davey Allison, Hueytown, Ala., Ford Thunderbird, 193.756; 5. Darrell Waltrip, Franklin, Tenn., Chevrolet Lumina, 193.685; 6. Ricky Rudd, Chesapeake, Va., Chevrolet Lumina, 193.306; 7. Rusty Wallace, Concord, N.C., Pontiac Grand Prix, 193.240; 8. Dale Earnhardt, Doolie, N.C., Chevrolet Lumina, 193.158; 9. Bill Elliott, Dawsonville, Ga., Ford Thunderbird, 192.870; 10. Lake Speed, Jackson, Miss., Pontiac Grand Prix, 192.862.
11. Geoff Bodine, Julian, N.C., Ford Thunderbird, 192.823; 12. Hut Stricklin, Calera, Ala., Buick Regal, 192.777; 13. Rick Mast, Rockbridge Baths, Va., Oldsmobile Cutlass, 192.726; 14. Bobby Hamilton, Nashville, Tenn., Oldsmobile Cutlass, 192.680; 15. Alan Kulwicki, Charlotte, N.C., Ford Thunderbird, 192.664; 16. Brett Bodine, Harrisburg, N.C., Buick Regal, 192.544; 17. Chad Little, Charlotte, N.C., Ford Thunderbird, 192.471; 18. Ken Schrader, Concord, N.C., Chevrolet Lumina, 192.424; 19. Sterling Marlin, Columbia, Tenn., Ford Thunderbird, 192.374; 20. Michael Waltrip, Huntersville, N.C., Pontiac Grand Prix, 192.343.
21. Mickey Gibbs, Glencoe, Ala., Pontiac Grand Prix, 192.316; 22. Dale Jarrett, Conover, N.C., Ford Thunderbird, 192.127; 23. Derrike Cope, Charlotte, N.C., Chevrolet Lumina, 191.911; 24. Terry Labonte, Archdale, N.C., Oldsmobile Cutlass, 191.819; 25. Greg Sacks, Maitland, Fla., Chevrolet Lumina, 191.785; 26. Richard Petty, Randleman, N.C., Pontiac Grand Prix, 191.712; 27. Phil Barkdoll, Phoenix, Oldsmobile Cutlass, 191.535; 28. Mark Martin, Jamestown, N.C., Ford Thunderbird, 191.329; 29. Jimmy
Spencer, Mooresville, N.C., Chevrolet Lumina, 191.130; 30. Rick Wilson, Cornelius, N.C., Buick Regal, 191.039.
31. Stanley Smith, Chelsea, Ala., Buick Regal, 190.943; 32. Wally Dallenbach Jr., Basalt, Colo., Ford Thunderbird, 190.711; 33. Morgan Shepherd, Conover, N.C., Ford Thunderbird, 190.643; 34. Joe Ruttman, Franklin, Tenn., Oldsmobile Cutlass, 190.340; 35. Bobby Hillin Jr., Harrisburg, N.C., Oldsmobile Cutlass, rTC 189.654; 36. Jimmy Means, Forest City, N.C., Pontiac Grand Prix, 189.552; 37. Buddy Baker, Sherrill's Ford, N.C., Ford Thunderbird, 189.152; 38. Ted Musgrave, Franklin, Wis., Pontiac Grand Prix, 188.608; 39. Jeff Purvis, Clarksville, Tenn., Oldsmobile Cutlass, 188.130; 40. Larry Pearson, Spartanburg, S.C., Chevrolet Lumina, 187.831; 41. Dave Marcis, Avery's Creek, N.C., Chevrolet Lumina, provisional starter, 186.141.