The 54th annual Maryland House and Garden Pilgrimage will tour some of Howard County's most significant buildings of the past and present. On next Sunday's tour are:
1. The Patapsco Female Institute
Proceeds from the Howard County section of the house and garden pilgrimage will benefit the Friends of the Patapsco Female Institute who are working with the county toward stabilization of the former school and landscaping the surrounding grounds.
Chi Chi Brown, president of the Friends of the Patapsco Female Institute, said proceeds from the pilgrimage will go toward two projects. The first project willbe recognition of those who purchased "donor trees" on the institute's grounds. Brown has suggested plaques on granite stones.
The second project is locating and purchasing plants that were popular in gardens between 1835 and 1914. These plants will go into a garden on the institute grounds. Botany was one of the more popular subjects the school had to offer. One particular rose that was needed for the garden, the Belle Rose, was discovered in the Paca Gardens in Annapolis. "We purchased the cuttings that have propagated from those plants," said Brown.
Work on the Patapsco Female Institute has recently completed stage one of its restoration plans: debris removal and temporary bracing of the walls. According to Brown, the second and final stage, permanent stabilization, is predicted to be completed by mid-Fall of next year.
Although only ruins remain, from 1837 to 1891 the institute's 57-room granite building with Doric columns was a center for education of young women in the subjects of science, literature andcharm.
The building was subsequently used as a summer hotel knownas Berg Alynwick, a private home, summer theater and a nursing home,and was abandoned in the 1950s. Now, the Friends of the Patapsco Female Institute, with the Howard County Department of Recreation and Parks, are working to stabilize the ruins and establish a garden park.
2. The Old Courthouse
Built for $28,000 and completed in 1843, this granite classical revival structure overlooks Main Street in Ellicott City.
At the south end of the edifice are two memorials: onefor those who fought in the Confederate army in the Civil War and one for veterans of World War I, World War II and the Korean War. The cannon on the lawn is believed to have been captured at the battle of Bladensburg during the War of 1812 by John Dorsey, brother of Judge Thomas Beale Dorsey of Mount Hebron.
3. Howard County Historical Society
Originally the First Presbyterian Church, the granite building was constructed in 1894 to replace a church built in 1844 that thecongregation had outgrown.
The society's church is noted for its low eaves, steep roof, 175-foot spire and massive blocks of locally quarried granite.
An exhibit of artifacts found by the Upper Patuxent Archaeology Group at the Patapsco Female Institute will be on display here.
4. The Old Manse
This three-story stone residence, constructed in 1850, was for many decades the parsonage-- or manse -- of the Presbyterian church up Church Street.
Today, the house is considered a model of rough architecture introduced by the founding Ellicott brothers, Andrew and John, that distinguishes Ellicott City from other 18th-century towns.
5. The Powell House
This house sitson property that once belonged to Jonathan Ellicott, son of Andrew Ellicott. Antique furnishings inside include a Maryland shield-back side chair, circa 1790, and a Hepplewhite chest of drawers, circa 1800.
Tulips, daffodils, ivy and flowering shrubs are planted throughout the grounds and in a secluded brick-terraced garden.
6. The Old Firehouse
Resting at the fork of Main Street and Church Road, thisone-story building, constructed in 1889, was Ellicott City's first firehouse.
Since the new firehouse was built in 1889 on Main Street, the Old Firehouse has served as a library and a community meeting place.
7. The Howard House
At the intersection of Main Street and Columbia Pike, the 1840 house was an elite hotel during the 1850s when, according to pilgrimage organizers, Ellicott City was at its peak as a summer resort.
The most distinguishing part of the structure is the attractive wrought-iron work for the second and ground floors patios, which was popular in the 19th century. The hotel is being converted into 10 apartments.
8. B & O Railroad Station Museum
The country's oldest railroad station and the initial western terminusof the B & O Railroad, this freight depot was built in 1831 of locally quarried granite and framed in heavy timber.
Next to the depot,spanning the Tiber River, is the last remaining arch of the three-arch Oliver Viaduct that was constructed at the same time as the station.
9. The Old Elementary School
Before being used as an elementary school, this site was an academy for boys in the 1820s and an academy and college for the Christian Brothers, a Catholic order, from 1857 until 1923, when fire destroyed the building.
Two years later,Ellicott City High School, its walls built with stone from the old college, was opened on the college grounds. The school closed during the 1970s. Condominium units are scheduled to open soon on the school's grounds.
10. Spring Promise
Last year's Historic Ellicott City Inc. decorator show house, Spring Promise was a housing unit for workers in Oella built by the Union Manufacturing Co. during the 19th century.
Visitors should notice the three fireplaces, the family room that opens onto a deck, a fourth level devoted to a master bedroomsuite, and the exposed logs along the side of the house.
11. George Ellicott House
This recently renovated house -- built in 1789 -- is the last reminder of the 18th-century Ellicotts Mills community that once lined the banks of the Patapsco in the Ellicott City area.
An accomplished amateur astronomer, George Ellicott used a third-story dormer window as an observatory. Today, Historic Ellicott City Inc. is seeking a tenant to occupy this historic space.
12. Home ofMr. and Mrs. Roland R. Bounds
This residence was originally the servants' quarters for the estate of then-prominent Maryland lawyer James MacKubin, who bought the property from the Dorsey family to builda home in the 1860s for his new bride, Gabriella Peters, great-granddaughter of Martha Washington.
The interior of the home features collections of primitives, colonial items, Delft and Napoleonic memorabilia.
13. The Wayside Inn
See accompanying article.
This stone house, built about 1798, is now part of a privateresidence with a modern-day house built around it. However, it was removed from the tour late last week.
Since 1810, ithas been home to many of Maryland's famous families: Ridgely, Oliver, Gaither, Tabb and Finley.
Star magnolias, traditional sugar maples, eastern redbud, flowering dogwood, lilac and azaleas dot the landscape outside.
Once a part of the Charles Carroll summer estate known as Doughoregan Manor, Homewood includes a 1830 stone manor house with a clapboard addition constructed in the 1920s.
Inside the stone house is a circular staircase in the foyer, 14-foot ceilings, Virginia pine floors, Italian marble fireplaces and decorative moldings, and ceiling designs.
17. Pleasant Prospect Farm
This Georgian-style house, built in 1986, is designed to capture thegrace and quality of 18th-century architecture. On the exterior of the house are hand-molded colonial-type brick with grapevine joints.
The interior features century-old heart of pine flooring and molding and paneled wainscoting replicated from historic examples.
18. Summer Hill Farm at Poverty Discovered
On land that was once owned by the Carrolls, Hobbs and Hoods, Summer Hill Farm is now one of the leading thoroughbred horse operations in the state, pilgrimage organizers say.
The original section of the house is a log cabin built in the 1760s. The house was subsequently enlarged with a stone addition in the 1800s. A porch was enclosed to provide a kitchen in the 1930s. Extensive renovations in 1989 included the addition of two bathrooms, a master suite, family room, office and enlargements of the kitchen.
Admission is $15 for the day's tour, $5 for a single house; tickets may be purchased at any of the stops. The Howard County tour isthe last of nine tours of significant buildings in Maryland. For more information call the pilgrimage office at (301) 821-6933.