IMOLA, Italy -- Ayrton Senna did not need to set another lap record yesterday to secure his 55th career pole position.
Rain and the wet track prevented the world Formula One champion and his rivals from improving Friday's qualifying times, and the Brazilian driver earned a front-row start in today's San Marino Grand Prix on the basis of his fastest lap in the first session.
All drivers, including Ferrari's Alain Prost and Jean Alesi, who had been hoping to improve and please the home crowd, turned the 3.132-mile lap 18 to 24 seconds slower than they did Friday, using rain tires.
1. Ayrton Senna, Brazil, McLaren-Honda, 1 minute, 21.877 seconds, lap record, avg. speed, 137.696 mph; 2. Riccardo Patrese, Italy, Williams-Renault, 1:21.95; 3. Alain Prost, France, Ferrari, 1:22.19; 4. Nigel Mansell, Britain, Williams-Renault, 1:22.36; 5. Gerhard Berger, Austria, McLaren-Honda, 1:22.56; 6. Stefano Modena, Italy, Tyrrell-Honda, 1:23.51; 7. Jean Alesi, France, Ferrari, 1:23.94; 8. Gianni Morbidelli, Italy, Minardi-Ferrari, 9. PierLuigi Martini, Italy, Minardi-Ferrari, 1:24.80; 10. Satoru Nakajima, Japan, Tyrrell-Honda, 1:25.34.
11. Andrea De Cesaris, Italy, Jordan-Ford, 1:25.49; 12. Bernard Gachot, France, Jordan-Ford, 1:25.53; 13. Roberto Moreno, Brazil, Benetton-Ford, 1:25.65; 14. Nelson Piquet, Brazil, Benetton-Ford, 1:25.80; 15. Mauricio Gugelmin, Brazil, Layton-Ilmor, 1:25.84; 16. Jirki Jarvi Lehto, Finland, Dallara-Judd, 17. Eric Bernard, France, Lola-Ford, 1:25.98; 18. Martin Brundle, Britain, Brabham-Yamaha, 1:26.05; 19. Erik Comas, France, Ligier-Lamborghini, 1:26.20; 20. Aguri Suzuki, Japan, Lola-Ford, 1:26.35.
21. Eric Van De Poele, Belgium, Lamborghini, 1:26.55; 22. Ivan Capelli, Italy, Leyton-Ilmor, 1:26.60; 23. Mark Blundell, Britain, Brabham-Yamaha, 1:26.77; 24. Thierry Boutsen, Belgium, Ligier-Lamborghini, 1:26.99; 25. Mika Hakkinen, Finland, Lotus-Judd, 1:27.32; 26. Julian Bailey, Britain, Lotus-Judd, 1:27.97.
Did not qualify 27. Gabriele Tarquini, Italy, AGS-Ford, 1:28.17; 28. Fabrizio Barbazza, Italy, AGS-Ford, 1:29.66; 29. Alex Caffi, Italy, Footwork-Porsche, 1:30.28; 30. Michele Alboreto, Italy, Footwork-Porsche, 1:30.76.
MARTINSVILLE, Va. -- Dick Beaty wants to end the rough stuff that has marred stock-car racing this season. Beaty, director of NASCAR's Winston Cup series, has spent considerable time this weekend at Martinsville Speedway trying to keep today's race from turning into payback time.
Beaty said he discussed the situation Friday in private meetings with eight unidentified drivers.
The charges of rough driving started in the season opener at Daytona Beach in February, but the violence increased two weeks ago at Bristol, Va., and again last weekend at North Wilkesboro, N.C. There has been a total of 36 caution flags in the last two events, many of them brought out for crashes caused by one driver chopping down on another.
, The lineup for today's race:
1. Mark Martin, Jamestown, N.C., Ford Thunderbird, 91.949; 2. ,, Harry Gant, Taylorsville, N.C., Oldsmobile Cutlass, 91.713; 3. Ken Schrader, Concord, N.C., Chevrolet Lumina, 91.673; 4. Rick Mast, Rockbridge Baths, Va., Oldsmobile Cutlass, 91.522; 5. Rusty Wallace, Concord, N.C., Pontiac Grand Prix, 91.368; 6. Chad Little, Charlotte, N.C., Ford Thunderbird, 91.095; 7. Dale Jarrett, Conover, N.C., Ford Thunderbird, 90.964; 8. Alan Kulwicki, Charlotte, N.C., Ford Thunderbird, 90.864; 9. Ernie Irvan, Rockwell, N.C., Chevrolet Lumina, 90.807; 10. Dale Earnhardt, Doolie, N.C., Chevrolet Lumina, 90.646.
11. Bobby Hillin Jr., Harrisburg, N.C., Oldsmobile Cutlass, 90.603; 12. Richard Petty, Randleman, N.C., Pontiac Grand Prix, 90.603; 13. Terry Labonte, Archdale, N.C., Oldsmobile Cutlass, 90.508; 14. Bill Elliott, Dawsonville, Ga., Ford Thunderbird, 90.408; 15. Brett Bodine, Harrisburg, N.C., Buick Regal, 90.378; 16. Darrell Waltrip, Franklin, Tenn., Chevrolet Lumina, 90.352; 17. Kyle Petty, High Point, N.C., Pontiac Grand Prix, 90.305; 18. Geoff Bodine, Julian, N.C., Ford Thunderbird, 90.292; 19. Joe Ruttman, Franklin, Tenn., Oldsmobile Cutlass, 90.288; 20. Bill Sedgewick, Van Nuys, Calif., Chevrolet Lumina, 90.133.
21. Hut Stricklin, Calera, Ala., Buick Regal, 90.056; 22. Ricky Rudd, Chesapeake, Va., Chevrolet Lumina, 90.043; 23. Sterling Marlin, Columbia, Tenn., Ford Thunderbird, 89.957; 24. Dick Trickle, Iron Station, N.C., Buick Regal, 89.932; 25. Mickey Gibbs, Glencoe, Ala., Pontiac Grand Prix, 89.893; 26. Davey Allison, Hueytown, Ala., Ford Thunderbird, 89.680; 27. Lake Speed, Jackson, Miss., Pontiac Grand Prix, 89.646; 28. Jimmy Spencer, Mooresville, N.C., Chevrolet Lumina, 89.634; 29. Michael Waltrip, Huntersville, N.C., Pontiac Grand Prix, 89.540; 30. Ted Musgrave, Franklin, Wis., Pontiac Grand Prix, 89.270; 31. Morgan Shepherd, Conover, N.C., Ford Thunderbird, provisional starter, 89.094; 32. Rick Wilson, Cornelius, N.C., Buick Regal, provisional starter, 89.216.