Penguins edge Devils, 4-3, take 2-1 lead in games Stanley Cup playoffs


EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Mark Recchi scored with 50 seconds left after New Jersey Devils defenseman Eric Weinrich botched a bloop pass in his zone, giving the Pittsburgh Penguins a 4-3 victory in their National Hockey League playoff series last night.

Recchi's goal gave the Penguins a 2-1 lead in the best-of-seven Patrick Division semifinal series.

Weinrich was in the low slot when he failed to handle the puck, which was flipped into the air by a Pittsburgh player from center ice. Weinrich wanted to glove the puck as it came down, but he missed it and then knocked it with his stick toward goalie Chris Terreri.

Recchi, streaking down the middle of the ice, lunged at the puck with his stick, and it went between Terreri's legs for the game-winner and his second goal of the game.

New Jersey rallied from one-goal deficits three times to tie the game. The last tie was forged when Doug Brown scored short-handed by beating goalie Tom Barrasso between the pads with a 45-foot shot with 5 minutes, 14 seconds left in regulation.

Until then, the Penguins had clung to a 3-2 lead provided on an early third-period goal by Joe Mullen, who was playing in his first game since suffering a herniated disk in his neck in January.

Pittsburgh 1 1 2 -- 4

New Jersey 1 1 1 -- 3

Sabres 5, Canadiens 4

BUFFALO, N.Y. -- Defenseman Mike Ramsey flipped a soft shot over the shoulder of goalie Patrick Roy to break a tie and give Buffalo its first victory in the three games of the Adams Division semifinals.

Ramsey moved in from the point to take a pass from Rob Ray before drifting a 12-footer over Roy at 2:28 of the third period.

The Sabres, who face the Canadiens in the fourth game of th series tomorrow night at Memorial Auditorium, still face long odds of advancing to the division final. Since 1980, teams that have lost the first two games of a series at an opponent's building are 2-38.

5Montreal 3 1 0 -- 4

Buffalo 2 2 1 -- 5

Bruins 6, Whalers 3

HARTFORD, Conn. -- Dave Christian and Garry Galley scored 18 seconds apart to spark a four-goal third period, as Boston took a 2-1 lead in the Adams Division semifinals.

Bob Sweeney added a goal three minutes later for Boston and Craig Janney added a goal on a two-man advantage.

Boston goalie Andy Moog, who struggled in the first two games, was sharp. He made 22 saves to shut down Hartford, which controlled the flow the first two periods.

Copyright © 2021, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad