April 7 tour to show houses, gardens in historic Federal Hill and Fells Point


A total of 14 houses and several gardens in two of Baltimore's historic harbor districts will be on display April 7 between noon and 5:30 p.m. in the 20th annual tour of the Society for the Preservation of Federal Hill and Fells Point.

Proceeds of the tour will go to the Robert Long House Museum restoration society headquarters at 812 S. Ann St. Tickets are $10 in advance or $12 the day of the tour at branches of O'Conor, Piper & Flynn real estate at 905 Light St. and 718 S. Broadway.

For tour information call 675-6756.

Here is a list of houses on the tour in addition to 25 E. Churchill St.:

Federal Hill:

*9 E. Montgomery St., originally a free-standing farmhouse built about 1800-1802, 23 feet of brick facade in Flemish bond. A sand-laid brick courtyard has been completed at the rear.

*335 E. Hamburg St., a total rebuilding of what were merely two side walls provides inexpensive housing for the influx of new residents seeking work in water-related activities. Includes a plant room at the rear.

SG *337 Warren Ave., a three-story three-bay building built in 1908 of

iron spot Roman brick, one of eight in a housing terrace with marble basements, sills and lintels. A former boardinghouse built originally by a shipyard owner.

*803 William St., a large free-standing town house of 1830-1870 vintage. It is one of two in the region with brownstone trim and one of the only houses in the region with a front yard.

XTC *810 William St., built in 1810, is a typical 1 1/2 -story mid-19th century home done in traditional style with the original floors. Baltimore version of "eyebrow" windows are seen here.

*119 E. Montgomery St. and 120 E. Churchill St. Late Federal in origin, this 2 1/2 -story brick house has a carriage house entry from the main house. Sixteen feet wide and two rooms deep, originally built by a ship carpenter. Five working fireplaces and one in the carriage house.

*118-120 E. Montgomery St., (garden area only). A formal courtyard is the highlight of this late Victorian property of 1896; French doors look out onto an open terrace.

*702 William St. Still undergoing finishing touches, this modern house with its many bays and fourth-floor deck has a skyline view of the inner city.

Fells Point:

*1626 Lancaster St. Built as a pair with a neighboring house about 1795 and featuring a second-floor living room almost 19 feet wide, probably the original master bedroom.

*1524 Lancaster St. Renewal in progress. The interior of the 1790 house was gutted and rehabbed in 1985 with a rear addition.

*834 S. Bond St. A twin of the house at 832 originally, this building once housed a wholesale food business. Two rear additions date from 1860 and 1975. Uniquely, the kitchen is at the front of the home.

*1815 Thames St., a tour favorite from 1810, this house is newly furnished and was originally two small, separate workingmen's houses. Includes many original details brought from other fine houses slated for destruction.

*931 Fell St. Built about 1790, this restoration of Capt. John Steele's residence is ranked as one of the city's best surviving examples of Federal architecture. The residence includes an 1848 rear addition.

*1000 Fell St. (model units). Henderson's wharf units within a giant warehouse from the 1890s with wide plank floors and harbor views.

Copyright © 2021, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad