Francis H. Jencks, a retired architect, died Tuesday at his home on Greenwood Road in Riderwood after a long illness. He " was 88.
Services for Mr. Jencks will be held at 10 a.m. Saturday at the Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd, Boyce and Carrollton avenues in Ruxton.
He retired in 1977 as a partner in the architectural firm of Wrenn, Lewis and Jencks, with which he had been associated for nearly 40 years. The firm's work included the Johns Hopkins Club and several additions to the Baltimore Museum of Art.
Mr. Jencks also taught architectural design at the Maryland Institute College of Art and was a former president of the Maryland chapter of the American Institute of Architects, of which he was a fellow.
Born in Baltimore, he was a member of the last generation of his family to be reared in the house at 1 W. Mount Vernon Place that was known for many years as the Jencks Mansion. The house, built in 1850 by Dr. J. Hanson Thomas and sold to Baltimore in 1953 after the death of Mr. Jencks' mother, was sold to Harry Gladding 10 years later after a planned addition to the Walters Art Gallery was moved from that block to the corner of Cathedral and Centre streets.
He was a member of the boards of the Baltimore Museum of Art, the Roland Park Country School, Green Mount Cemetery and what is now the Baltimore City Life Museums.
He is survived by two sons, Dr. Stephen F. Jencks of Baltimore and Christopher S. Jencks of Evanston, Ill.; a daughter, Helen J. Featherstone of East Lansing, Mich.; and six grandchildren