Loyola player faces drug charge Cocaine found on lacrosse backup


Because of incorrect information supplied by the Maryland State Police, the amount of cocaine and marijuana that Loyola College lacrosse player Seth Foster was charged with having was reported incorrectly in The Sun on March 27. He was charged with possession of 0.5 grams of cocaine and 0.3 grams of marijuana.

* The Sun regrets the error.

A Loyola College lacrosse player was arrested Friday at Baltimore-Washington International Airport while apparently trying to carry drugs aboard a team flight in a cassette-tape case.

Seth Foster, 20, a junior reserve goalkeeper from Harrisburg, Pa., was arrested at 8:04 a.m. by state police as the team prepared to leave for a Saturday game against Notre Dame in South Bend, Ind., according to Denise Kable, a state police spokeswoman.

Loyola (4-1), ranked No. 3, won that game, 20-4.

Foster was charged with two counts of possession of a controlled and dangerous substance, which carries a maximum sentence of five years and a $26,000 fine.

The drugs were detected by an X-ray machine after Foster surrendered his tape player and case for routine inspection, Kable said.

A member of the state police drug enforcement unit said yesterday that the drugs were cocaine (5 grams) and marijuana (3 grams), Kable said.

Foster has been suspended from the team and his case turned over to the student-life office at Loyola, lacrosse coach Dave Cottle and athletic director Joe Boylan said. Cottle confirmed that the incident happened but said college regulations prohibited him from commenting further.

"We are extremely disappointed this unfortunate incident occurred," said Boylan. "It in no way reflects upon the integrity of our lacrosseprogram and the student-athletes of Loyola College."

Boylan said he met yesterday with the captains of the team, and they said the entire team was willing to take drug tests. Boylan said that was not necessary.

"I think this is strictly an isolated incident. I hope so," said Boylan. "All of our student-athletes are required to attend yearly drug-education seminars. While the athletic department will not tolerate this type of behavior, we will provide help for this individual."

"It's an unfortunate incident that will adversely affect the team and everyone associated with the team, including the college," attackman Sean Smith, a co-captain, said. "We volunteered to take the drug tests to show that it was an individual thing and not a practice of the team.

"Sometimes, adversity brings the team together. This has happened to us; we responded with our best effort of the season."

Defender Scott Oslislo said: "This is not a reflection of our whole team in any way. Now, we just have to set our minds to play Brown [Saturday] and get by this bad experience. The whole thing has made a lot of us upset."

Foster was not available for comment, but, according to the police report, he was one of the last players to go through a security checkpoint. He was released later Friday on his own recognizance by an Anne Arundel County District Court commissioner.

Foster has played little in three seasons at Loyola, even though he was listed as the primary backup to starter Tim Dunnigan in the school's preseason report. Foster played in one game in 1989 and three games last season, not allowing a goal.

He has played four minutes this season and is listed as the No. 3 goalie.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad