Indiana's big 2nd half is a real scream, 82-60 Florida State beaten as crowd comes alive


LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- Nearly halfway through the second half, Florida State forward Douglas Edwards began glancing at the sea of red that filled Freedom Hall. Less than a half-hour earlier, Edwards was having his way against Indiana, but by this time he was reduced to muttering to himself.

Just when it looked as if Indiana was going to make another earltournament exit, the Southeast Regional's No. 2 seed put on a basketball clinic in the second half on its way to an 82-60 rout of the Seminoles before a sellout crowd of 18,946.

"We just lost our composure early in the second half with thfans screaming," Edwards said. "It was a tough crowd to play in front of."

By winning, Indiana (29-4), the Big Ten co-champion, will travel to Charlotte, N.C., this week to face Kansas in the Southeast Regional semifinals. Florida State (21-11), the winner of the Metro Conference title, had an eight-game winning streak ended.

Indiana sizzled in the second half, shooting 64.3 percent (18 o28). At the same time, the Hoosiers were using their intense defense to limit Florida State to 33.3 percent for the half.

"We probably played, in the second half, as well as we played ithe second half all year," Indiana coach Bob Knight said. "They came in aggressive and confident in their approach. But they missed some easy shots in the second half, and that had a part in us getting the game under control."

Five Indiana players scored in double figures, led by 24 frosophomore forward Calbert Cheaney, who also had 10 rebounds. Edwards scored 18 to lead Florida State, but scored only five in the second half.

The Hoosiers were down, 38-32, at halftime, but started thsecond half with a 21-2 run -- including two three-pointers apiece from forward Cheaney and guard Pat Graham (13 points) -- to take a 53-40 lead with just over 12 minutes left in the game. With five minutes left in the game, the Seminoles had just five field goals in the half and looked totally different from the team that had led by 10 late in the first half.

"They are known as an outstanding second-half team, and wwere just unsure starting out," Florida State coach Pat Kennedy said. "They did a great job getting the fans out of the game. Once the game began to shift, we got out of sync."

That was not the case in the first half, when the Seminolesbefore the Indiana "home" crowd, were poised in staying even for the first six minutes.

The next 10 minutes, however, the Seminoles played with evemore confidence, as they scrapped for loose balls and pounded the offensive boards (14 in the first half) for easy follow shots. When Charlie Ward hit a jumper with 3 minutes, 44 seconds left in the half, the Seminoles had a 33-23 lead and the crowd was, for the most part, silenced.

But by the end of the night, the Indiana fans were forming happy caravan as they filed out of Freedom Hall. After being out-rebounded, 24-14, in the first half, Indiana had a 20-13 advantage in the second half. The Hoosiers ended up shooting 57.7 percent for the game, limiting the Seminoles to nine second-half field goals.

"The crowd was great," Cheaney said. "It erupted when Pa[Graham] tied the game, and it got our adrenalin going. We got very emotional, and when we get emotional, things happen."

The game was Florida State's last representing the MetrConference. The Seminoles, who were making their seventh NCAA appearance, will begin play in the ACC next season.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad