A Baltimore man convicted in the 1961 murder of a Carroll County grocer now faces charges in a weekend slaying here.

A woman apparently was mistaken for someone else and was shot to death while picking up her 2-year-old daughter at a friend's house, city police said.

Detective Marvin Snydor said Tambra Dove, 22, of Baltimore, answered a knock at the door and was shot several times in the head and the chest by a man carrying a rifle. He said the assailant then droppedthe rifle and ran to a house two doors away.

City police arrestedJohn Garbutt, 51, who lives in that house, less than an hour later.

Snydor said Dove's daughter was visiting her father at the home where the shooting occurred Sunday.

Police said Garbutt was charged early Monday with first-degree murder and possession of a handgun found after the arrest.

The suspect had been involved in a long-standing argument with another resident of the house, dating back at leastfive years, Snydor said.

Garbutt, as a 21-year-old soldier, was convicted of the 1961 murder of Earl Baker, a Carroll County grocer, who was shot during a holdup. Garbutt, who was sentenced to life in prison, escaped in 1976 and was captured two years later in North Carolina.

Police were unable to say when he was granted parole.

Snydor said the intended victim, a friend of Dove's, was in the house at the time of the shooting.



STEVENSON -- A Manchester man has been charged with first-degree murder in last month's bludgeoning of a security guard at a Baltimore County boarding school for girls.

Baltimore County Police said Harvey Allen Teets Jr., 28, a groundskeeper at St. Timothy's School, wasarrested and charged with the murder of Kimberly R. Kenna, 23, who lived at the school.

Teets, who was arrested at the school without incident Monday, was denied bail and taken to a lockup in Cockeysville, police said.

Teets began working at St. Timothy's in July, saidschool headmaster Galen H. Brewster.

"Prior to his arrest, he didan outstanding job," Brewster said of Teets. "He was on time, hard-working, polite."

E. Jay Miller, a police spokesman, said he did not know how well Teets knew Kenna or what a possible motive could havebeen.

Investigators have physical evidence linking Teets to the crime scene, according to Miller. Teets "was a suspect rather early inthe investigation," Miller said.

Kenna's body was discovered Feb.23 floating in a pond about 20 feet from the guard shack where she worked. She was clad only in her blue guard's jacket and a shirt. Her other clothing was thrown into the water, police said.

An autopsy showed she died from a severe beating; the coroner could not concludeif she was sexually assaulted, police said.

Evidence at the sceneindicated Kenna was attacked in the guardhouse and then dragged to the pond. Police think she was caught by surprise and did not have time to use the walkie-talkie in the shack to alert school officials.



WESTMINSTER -- A 21-year-oldSykesville man who pleaded guilty in November to automobile manslaughter and driving while intoxicated was sentenced Monday to three years in prison.

Robert Kenneth Sauter, of the 5900 block of Forest Court, was given the sentence by Carroll Circuit Judge Raymond E. Beck.

The charges against Sauter stemmed from a three-car accident thatkilled a 52-year-old Walkersville man.

According to court records, Sauter was drinking alcohol with three friends April 9 for several hours.

Later, Sauter went with his friends to Rewster's Restaurantand Lounge in Taylorsville, where he drank about three more beers.

Sauter left the restaurant in his 1980 Mazda RX-7 about 9:40 p.m. Ten minutes later, after he almost caused two other accidents, Sauter crashed into a Nissan Sentra head-on, killing Charles Robert Henderson, records show.

Tests showed Sauter had a blood alcohol level of .14 percent, above the .10 legal limit.



Car accidents this week resulted in minor injuries, state police in Westminster reported Tuesday.

State police said the first accident occurred at 9:25 a.m. Saturday on Hanover Pike at Ralph Avenue in Hampstead.

William Michael Tracey, 28, of the 200 block of Hanover Pike in Hampstead, was traveling northbound on Hanover Pike in his 1988 Chevrolet C-30 when he hit a 1988 Chevrolet Cavalier that was stopped to make a left turn.

The Chevrolet Cavalier was driven by George Lee Young, 53, of the 15000 block of Upperco Road.

Another Chevrolet Cavalier, driven by Diane Jean Keiser of the 12000 block of Bonfire Drive in Reisterstown, could not avoid the collision and struck Tracey's car in the rear.

Keiser, 44, was taken by Hampstead Volunteer Fire Company ambulance to Carroll County General Hospital, where she was treated and released.

At 5:12 p.m. Friday, state police reported that a two-car accident on Hampstead-Mexico Road ended with one driver being cited for failing to reduce speed toavoid a collision.

Police said Rhonda Shifflett Kiler, 40, of the2700 block of Fridinger Mill Road in Manchester was traveling eastbound on Hampstead-Mexico Road near Brodbeck Road.

Brenda Renee Martin, 22, of the 1000 block of Scarlet Oak Drive in Hampstead, also wastraveling eastbound on the road.

Police said Kiler stopped her 1987 Volvo to turn left into a driveway when it was rear-ended by Martin's 1981 Plymouth Reliant K.

Martin was cited for failure to reduce speed to avoid a collision, police said.

Here is a compilation of the fire and rescue calls to the Emergency Operations Center:

March 9

10:15 a.m., Manchester, Hampstead and Westminster responded to a chimney fire on Bert Fowler Road.

3:11 p.m., Lineboro had a fire investigation on Route 516 in York County, Pa.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad