Fritzie Sahlins, who helped develop the improvisational...


Fritzie Sahlins, who helped develop the improvisational theater troupe Second City, died of cancer Saturday in Chicago at the age of 66. A native of Germany, she married Bernard Sahlins, Second City's founder, in 1944.

Bob Parkinson, 67, who helped build what's described as the largest circus archive in the world, died Thursday after undergoing heart surgery in Madison, Wis. He oversaw the library at the Circus World Museum in Baraboo, Wis. He joined the museum in 1965 and expanded the library from a small collection to include thousands of circus lithographs and a card catalog with the names of circus performers from Colonial times to the present.

Maurice H. Friedman, 87, who developed the "rabbit test" for pregnancy,died of cancer Friday at his home in Sarasota, Fla. He was a physiology researcher at the University of Pennsylvania in the early 1930s when he developed a pregnancy test, now known as the Friedman-Lapham test.

Edward Stierle, 23, a leading dancer with the Joffrey Ballet who created two ballets for the company this season, died of acquired immune deficiency syndrome Friday at a New York hospital. Mr. Stierle was born in Hollywood, Fla., and began to study dance at age 4 as a pupil in his sister's tap class. Six years later he started ballet classes. In 1989, he won a gold medal at the International Ballet Competition in Jackson, Miss. Robert Joffrey was one of the judges, and shortly after Mr. Stierle joined the Joffrey Ballet.

Vance Colvig Jr., 72, an actor who made frequent guest appearances on "The Golden Girls," "Hill Street Blues," "St. Elsewhere" and other television shows, died March 4 of cancer at his Hollywood Hills, Calif., home.

Russell Oswald, 82, head of New York state's prison system during the violent 1971 Attica state prison uprising, died Friday in Albany after a long illness. Mr. Oswald, commissioner of the state Department of Correctional Services from 1970 until 1973, headed prison systems in Wisconsin and Massachusetts before moving to New York state in 1957 to become a member of the state's Board of Parole. He was named corrections commissioner in December 1970. The following September, inmates rebelled at the maximum-security Attica state prison. A state police assault ended the takeover after four days, leaving 39 people dead.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad