Broadneck senior guard Johnny Williams issued an immediate warning after last night's Class 4A Region IV semifinal thriller.

"We stillhave one more to go," he said. "This doesn't mean anything unless wecapitalize on this victory."

The victory was spectacular -- and surely unforgettable.

Junior Maurice Washington hit a three-point shot to tie the game in the third overtime, then drove the baseline and banked in the game-winner with two seconds left to give the third-seeded and visiting Bruins a 72-70 win over second-seeded Old Mill.

Washington also made a stealat the buzzer to prevent the Patriots from getting off a last shot.

Broadneck (20-4) will get another crack at defending 4A state champion Annapolis in tomorrow's 7 p.m. region final. The Panthers downedthe Bruins, 43-36, on Jan. 5 and 75-39 on Jan. 29.

In addition, Annapolis has eliminated Broadneck in the last two region finals.

Before Broadneck could think about gaining revenge over the Panthers, it first had to avenge a 68-59 loss to Old Mill on Jan. 25.

The teams ended the regulation at 59-59. Old Mill took a 63-61 lead in the first overtime, but Broadneck's Damian Spain scored with 1 minute, 10seconds left to force a second overtime.

The Patriots' Ravon Austin (20 points) made a steal and layup, but Washington (13) countered with a basket with 40 seconds left. Old Mill senior Damion Sewell's long-range jumper at the buzzer hit the back of the rim, and the game was extended another three minutes.

Old Mill (17-6) built a three-point lead, 68-65, before Williams (15 points) hit from the outside with 50 seconds left. The Patriots Terrell Eldridge (12 points) sank two free throws with 40 seconds remaining, but Washington canned a three-pointer to tie the score at 70-70.

After Old Mill turned the ball over with 16 seconds left, Washington took a pass from Williams and scored the game-winner.

Broadneck's 7-foot-2 center Boris Beck finished with 27 points and eight rebounds.

The first quarter, which featured nine lead changes, ended with Old Mill up 21-20.

The biggest lead for either team in the first half was six points, 40-34, when Broadneck went on a 6-0 run late in the second quarter.

Copyright © 2021, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad