Probe into guard's slaying continues Clues sought in death of woman at school.


Baltimore County police today continued to investigate the slaying of a 23-year-old security guard at St. Timothy's School in Stevenson.

The body of Kimberly R. Kenna was found about 7:13 p.m. Saturday floating in a pond about 20 feet from the guard shack at which she was stationed, police said.

The body was found by a teacher at St. Timothy's who was walking a dog past the guard shack, saw the victim's white Chevrolet Beretta parked at the side of the road and the door to the shack open, police said.

The teacher, who was not identified by police, followed a trail of blood to the shallow pond, where she found Kenna's body, police said.

Kenna was found clothed only in her blue guard's jacket and a shirt. Her other clothing had been thrown into the water, police said.

For about a year, Kenna lived on the campus of the exclusive Episcopal boarding school for girls in the 8400 block of Greenspring Ave. and worked as a part-time security guard from 6 p.m. to 7 a.m., police said.

An autopsy showed Kenna died from a severe beating, especially about the head, police said. It was not immediately known whether she had been sexually assaulted.

Police said Kenna may have been caught off guard by her assailant, but managed to put up a struggle.

"They believe she was surprised," said Galen Brewster, the schools' headmaster. "It's apparent she didn't have time to use her radio.

"If she had just been able to broadcast [a message], she would have been surrounded by people," he said.

Kenna was linked via radio to four other unarmed guards, who were 2 minutes or about 100 yards away, Brewster said.

He said Kenna will be missed. "She spent a lot of time with our students," Brewster said. "She was a delightful person -- kindly, funny and extremely well-liked by faculty and students."

Yesterday, counselors were at St. Timothy's to help the students cope with the tragedy. The school has 107 students from 18 states and 13 countries in grades nine through 12, and 23 faculty members.

"They explained to students how it's normal . . . to have many, very strong emotions," Brewster said.

Kenna, who was engaged to be married, recently took a part-time job at a restaurant to help pay for graduate school in nursing. Her family lives in Pittsburgh, Brewster said.

Last year, Kenna graduated from Pennsylvania State University, where she majored in physical education, he said.

Her death affects the entire school, Brewster said. "We're like a small village. We're a family and someone murdered one of our people."

Funeral arrangements for Kenna are incomplete but the school plans a memorial service, he said.

Copyright © 2021, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad