A 23-year-old Davidsonville woman was killed Wednesday when her car collided with a station wagon at a South County intersection.

Wendy Elise Pickle, of the 3700 block Birdsville Road, was taken by helicopter to University of Maryland Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore, where she was pronounced dead.

County police said Pickle was driving her 1987 Ford Escort east on Birdsville Road at 1:44 p.m. and stopped at a stop sign at the intersection of Route 2.

As she was making a left turn on Route 2, a 1986 Ford station wagon struck her automobile broadside.

The driver of the station wagon, Paul Leroy Johnston, 52, of the 100 block Polling House Road in Harwood, was not charged, police said.


A Landover man was arrested and charged with distributing cocaine Wednesday night by Annapolis police.

Stephen Bernard Trusty, 21, of the 7300 block Landover Road, was arrested after patrol officers saw two men huddled in the stairway of a Newtowne Drive apartment building at about 9:30.

When the men spotted the officers, one of them threw a pill bottle and a salt shaker on theground, city police said.

Both bottles contained several pieces of crack cocaine, police said.


A man traveling with a pet boa constrictor led state police on a15-mile car chase Wednesday, at times driving the wrong way on Route3 and eventually bailing out and hiding in the Patuxent River.

Alvin Basil Martin Jr., 30, of Mitchellville in Prince George's County,was stopped by police for a broken tail light in the McDonald's parking lot at Routes 170 and 174. He took off when police found out he was wanted in Texas on theft charges.

Police said he drove south onRoute 174 through Fort Meade, then over to Route 3, where he drove south in the north lane for seven miles until he reached the Anne Arundel-Prince George's county line.

State Police Cpl. Carl Pearsall said 10 state police cars chased the Dodge Aries at speeds that sometimes reached 90 mph.

The man bailed out of the car along Route 3 and took his 10-foot snake into the Patuxent River, where he hid under a fallen tree. Police said they used a helicopter with heat sensors to find Martin, who eluded them for an hour.

Pearsall said Martin had to be treated at North Arundel General Hospital. He was charged with being a fugitive and numerous traffic violations.

Pearsall saidthe snake probably was the man's pet. He said Department of Natural Resources police are still searching for the reptile.

Copyright © 2021, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad