Tameca Holmes, age 11
Pikesville Middle School
* QUESTION: How many casualties have there been on the American side and how many casualties have there been on the Iraqi side?
* ANSWER: With the war about one month old, the United States has reported 16 soldiers killed in battle, 30 killed in non-combat situations such as accidents, 30 missing in action and eight taken prisoner by Iraq. Although the Iraqi army is believed to have many more casualties, the Iraqi government is not releasing specific numbers of those killed or wounded in war.
* LINKAGE -- Tying two or more things together. In this instance, the term is usually used to describe Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein's desire to link the end of the Persian Gulf war with the issue of Israel's relationship with the Palestinian people.
* NONCOMBATANT -- Civilian, or non-military, people affected by a war but not directly involved in it.
* OIL BOOMS -- Barriers placed in the water to prevent spilled crude oil from reaching a beach or other sensitive area.
* RAMADAN -- The ninth month of the Muslim year, a period of daily fasting from sunrise to sunset. This year it falls in March.
FACT OR FICTION?
IRAQ AND SAUDI ARABIA SHARE SOME OIL FIELDS.
* Fact: There was a 1,500- to 2,000-square-mile neutral zone near the place where the borders of Iraq, Kuwait and Saudi Arabia meet. Although it is not known who controls the zone right now, the Iraqis and the Saudis have been splitting the profits from the zone's rich oil fields for at least 20 years.