On the evening of Feb. 8, 1987, Maurice Dale Wing went to visit a friend who lived at Terrace Garden Apartments in Havre de Grace.

ButWing never showed up at the friend's apartment. And no one has seen him since.

He vanished.

The 34-year-old Havre de Grace man's disappearance has left city police investigators stumped and his family in anguish for the last four years.

"It's been rough," said Wing's brother,Anthony. "I don't think a day goes by that we don't think about him.Every time you hear they found a body, you wonder."

In the hope of generating new leads in the investigation, the department is offering a reward of up to $1,000 through Harford County Crime Solvers, said police spokesman Sgt. John Van Gilder said.

The non-profit citizens group operates a hot line on which people can call and give tips that may lead to solving crimes. Callers don't need to give their names or appear in court to collect a reward. The hot-line number is 877-STOP.

Wing is described as a black man with brown eyes, a gap between his front teeth and a bad knee. He is about 5 feet 9 inches talland weighs about 160 pounds.

The relatives Wing left behind when he vanished include his parents, five sisters, two brothers and a daughter.

Divorced and unemployed at the time of his disappearance, Wing lived with his parents on North Stokes Street.

After Wing was reported missing, investigators interviewed friends and relatives, but no one knew what happened or where Wing might have gone, said Van Gilder.

Investigators believe that Wing may have been killed or injured, Van Gilder said.

"It's really out of character for him to disappear," Van Gilder said. "He always keeps in contact with his family. He always stayed close to home."

Anthony Wing said his brother liked to play basketball and draw pictures. He described his brother as outspoken.

"To me, (Maurice) was easy-going," Anthony Wing said. "But a lot of people didn't like him."

Maurice Wing occasionallygot into arguments and fights as a result of that outspoken behavior, his brother said.

Harford Circuit Court records show that Maurice Wing was arrested at least eight times between 1973 and 1983. He pleaded guilty or was found guilty on numerous charges, including disorderly conduct, burglary and battery, the records show.

Anthony said he last saw Maurice just hours before his disappearance. He said Maurice came to his house with two guns that he said he was carrying for protection.

Anthony said his brother Maurice told him that someone was "after him" because he was having a relationship with the man's wife.

Several days after Wing's disappearance, the woman calledAnthony to say that she had to talk to him but not over the telephone, Anthony Wing recalled.

He tried to meet with the woman, but shethen started avoiding him, he said.

Investigators questioned the woman and her husband about the missing man, but the interviews did not produce any leads in the case, Van Gilder said.

Police also listed Wing as a missing person with the national Crime Investigation Center shortly after his disappearance, Van Gilder said.

The center takes descriptions and medical information of missing people and matches them with unidentified bodies found throughout the country, Van Gilder said.

The department's last lead in the investigation came last August when police in New York found the body of a man whose description was similar to Wing, said Sgt. William Johnson, an investigator handling the case.

Copyright © 2021, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad