John E. Lilly Dental lab founder


Graveside services for John E. "Jack" Lilly will be held at 11 a.m. tomorrow at the Loudon Park Cemetery, 3801 Frederick Ave. in Irvington.

Mr. Lilly, an avid boater who owned the Maryland Dental Laboratories Inc. in East Baltimore, died Friday at his Towson home after a heart attack. He was 75.

Born in South Baltimore and educated in public schools, Mr. Lilly graduated from City College in the mid-1930s.

He began his business, which manufactured false teeth, in 1945. He was a past president of the Maryland and District of Columbia Dental Laboratory Association.

The great passion of Mr. Lilly's life was motor boats. He bought his first boat in the early 1950s, a 40-foot power cruiser called the "Mardent," and at the time of his death owned a 35-foot Chris-Craft called the "Suzy Q," which he moored at Kent Island.

Mr. Lilly was a charter member of the Coast Guard Auxiliary No. 13 and taught piloting for the U.S. Power Squadron at the Baltimore Yacht Club. He belonged to the Kent Island Yacht Club.

He was a past master of Lafayette Lodge No. 111 of the Masonic Order and belonged to the Boumi Temple.

Mr. Lilly is survived by his wife of 55 years, the former Dorothy Scharfe of Towson; two sons, Robert L. Lilly of Towson and Dr. J. Richard Lilly of Annapolis; a brother, Edward L. Taylor of Kent Island; four grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.

The family suggested that donations in Mr. Lilly's memory be sent to the Maryland Masonic Memorial Fund, 225 N. Charles St., Baltimore 21201.

Copyright © 2021, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad