Services for H. Ellwood Buchar, a retired weights and measures inspector for Baltimore who also had performed country music, will be held at 10 a.m. today at the Holy Trinity Russian Orthodox Church, 1723 E. Fairmount Ave.
Mr. Buchar, who was 74 and lived on Valley View Avenue, died of leukemia Saturday at Mercy Medical Center.
He had worked for the city for about 12 years before retiring in 1979. Earlier, he was a salesman for the Royal Tile Co. and worked for what is now the Martin Marietta Corp.
The native of Mount Wolf, Pa., first came to Baltimore in the late 1930s to join Happy Johnny and His Gang. Known as Lefty, he was the county music group's lead singer and rhythm guitarist.
After serving in the U.S. Army during World War II as an entertainer for the troops, he returned to Baltimore in 1950.
Mr. Buchar played guitar at square dances and for the residents of area nursing homes and sang as a tenor in the choir at Holy Trinity Church.
His first wife, the former Marian Jacobs, died in 1962.
He is survived by his wife, the former Nadia H. Paranuk; two sons, Bradley W. Buchar of New Freedom, Pa., and Dennis E. Buchar of Baltimore; two sisters, Anna McKinley of York, Pa., and Dorothy Holder of Manchester, Pa.; three brothers, Charles E. and Wilton H. Buchar, both of York, and Irvin L. Buchar of Hellam, Pa.; four grandchildren; and a great-granddaughter.