Family members with questions about the status of individual service members may call these hot lines:
* Air Force (800) 253-9276
* Army (800) 626-1440
* Coast Guard (800) 283-8724
* MarineCorps (800) 523-2694
* Navy (family only) (800) 255-3808
* Navy (public number) (800) 732-1206
Family support hot lines
Immediate family members of service people on active duty may get information on support groups by calling these hot lines:
* Air Force, Coast Guard, Marines, Navy (800) 677-7565
* Army (800) 542-9254
Army Reserve (800) 874-8451
* Maryland National Guard (800) 492-2526
* National Military Family Association (703) 823-6632
* Red Cross (800) 677-7565
Other support hot lines
* American Legion Family Support Network (800) 786-0901
A 24-hour clearinghouse numberfor support services if family members of personnel in the Persian Gulf need emergency transportation, baby-sitting, home repairs, etc. Local American Legion posts will be contacted to supply assistance.
* Army Family Liaison Office (800) 833-6622
Provides referrals (with points of contact worldwide) and information on legal and financial assistance, benefits and other general topics, helpful booklets and information on starting a family support group.
* AT&T; Company Free FAXes (800) 222-3111
Provides free FAX messages to service members from the immediate family. You must have the service member's full name, unit, and APO and Social Security numbers.
* Carroll County Support Group 848-8903/848-4127
Donna Jones and Nancy Spaugh run a local non-profit support group for families of service members in the gulf. Group meets 3 to 5 p.m. Saturday at Kessler Shoe Mfg. Co., 191 Shaeffer Ave., Westminster.
* South Carroll Support Group 795-9481/795-4609
The Rev. David McPeake, pastor of Elders Baptist Church and a retired military chaplain, runs a local non-profit support group for families of service members in the gulf. Group meets 7:30p.m. Thursday at 1216 Liberty Road, Eldersburg.
* Especially For Kids (800) 735-5437
Century Health Care Corp. offers counseling for children and their parents, as well as children's workbooks about Operation Desert Storm.
* Red Cross of Carroll County 848-4334 or (301) 467-9905
Provides emergency notification services for immediate families of active duty personnel in the Persian Gulf. Messages must be urgent, such as family births, extreme illness, deaths or otherextraordinary family problems.
Some helpful tips
* Donations to Operation Desert Storm (703) 274-3561
Monetary donations to the war effort may be sent to: Headquarters, Defense Logistic Agency, Att.: Donations Hot line, Alexandria, Va. 22304-6100.
* Operation Something Home (703) 369-7583
A non-profit group that sends "care" packages to service members on duty in the gulf. The group accepts donations of items, including non-perishable foods, personal hygiene supplies and leisure time items (such as books, playing cards, pens and paper, etc.); help in packing boxes and money.
* Persian Gulf News Update (703) 284-3292
Provides current updates on news from the Persian Gulf.
* Tax Information (800) 829-3676
Special hot line deals with queries on service families' taxes.
SOURCE:Office of Sen. Barbara A. Mikulski, D-Md.