Police and fire scan



WESTMINSTER -- Two county men were arrested Monday and charged with assault to intent to murder a 60-year-old Main Street woman.

Ted Anderson and TomAnderson were arrested after police responded to a report of a fightin the 100 block of East Main Street.

When they arrived, police found several citizens holding Tom Anderson, 39, of the 4000 block of Gill Avenue in Hampstead, police reports said.

Pollice said witnesses told them that a man had dragged the woman out of her home and beat her with a stick until she cried for help.

The woman told police the men stole her jewelry, wallet and credit cards and held a knife to her throat, police reports said.

The wallet and two steak knives -- one with blood on it -- were found in the woman's car that was parked outside her home, police said.

The name of the woman was withheld by police because the case involves sexual assault charges.

Police arrested Ted Anderson, 52, at his home in the 100 block of South Ralph Street and said they found several of the woman's rings.

It was not immediately known if the Andersons were related.

The woman was flown to Maryland Shock Trauma Center at University Hospital in Baltimore where she was treated for fractured ribs, facial fractures and lacerations on her forehead, left hand and mouth.

She was listed in satisfactory and stable condition late Tuesday, a hospital spokesman said.

The woman told police that a man came into her home and grabbed her, putting his arm around her neck and a knife at her throat, according to reports.

Another man then forced her to the floor and ripped her clothes from the waist down, police said the woman told them.

Police said the womantold them the men wanted money and were going to take her to Floridaor the West Coast.

She said she struggled as they took her to thedoorway, where she was beaten.

Police said the men had lived withthe woman on-and-off for a year and a half.

Both men were chargedwith assault with intent to murder, assault with intent to rob, robbery with a deadly weapon, theft, malicious destruction, assault with intent to maim, battery, credit card theft, conspiracy, assault with intent to rape and a second-degree sex offense.

The men were beingheld late Tuesday at the Carroll County Detention Center on $250,000bond.



MOUNT AIRY -- A Twin Arch Road family is living with relatives and friends after a fire caused more than $50,000 damage to their home last week, fire officials said.

The fire at the home in the 4000 block of Twin Arch Road was reported at 9:41 a.m. Friday when a passing motorist saw smoke coming from the roof, said Deputy Chief State Fire Marshal Bob Thomas.

Thomas said the cause of the blaze is still under investigation.

Thomas said about 30 firefighters from Mount Airy, Damascus and Lisbon of Howard County responded to the fire.

The fire was out in about 30 minutes, he said.

He said the fire began in the kitchen of the home and caused extensive heat, fire and water damage to thetwo-story building.

Thomas said Dean Perkins, 27 and Viola Perkins, 67, were not home at the time of the blaze. The Perkinses rent thehome, he said.



WESTMINSTER -- For the last two months of the Governor's Highway Safety Competition for Counties, city police will be paying special attention to whether drivers are buckling up.

Officer Rick May, Westminster City police spokesman, said his department will be working in conjunction with the Maryland Committee on Safety Belt Use Inc. and the Maryland Chiefs Association to increase safety belt use this month and inMarch.

May said the third annual "Maryland Chiefs Challenge" is achance for law enforcement to get involved in safety enforcement.

"We will try to prevent the loss of lives and reduce injuries while watching that people obey the seat-belt law," May said.

City officers will carry a form with them that will be filled when they make a traffic stop, he said.

If they find drivers or passengers are not wearing seat belts, the officers will issue a warning or citation, May said.

May will be conducting observational surveys on seat-belt use every other Thursday at several locations throughout the city.



TANEYTOWN -- A Baust Church Road man was taken to Union Memorial Hospital in Baltimore yesterday evening after cutting off his fingers with a saw.

Richard R. Wear was taken by Hampstead Volunteer Fire Company ambulance to Carroll County General Hospital after he cut off his fingers while working athis home, emergency officials said.

While details on the accidentwere sketchy last night, officials at Carroll County General said the man was transported from the hospital here to Union Memorial.

Late Tuesday, the man was in surgery and his condition unknown, hospital officials said.

A medic unit from Taneytown was dispatched to the man's home to retrieve his fingers for possible reattachment, officials said.


Here is a compilation of the fire and rescue calls tothe Emergency Operations Center:

Feb. 4

8:30 a.m., Manchester andPleasant Valley responded to a woods fire on Hay Drive.

10:08 a.m., Lineboro assisted York County on a brush fire on Sportsman Club Drive.

2:03 p.m., Westminster and Reese responded to a fire alarm onHahn Drive.

3:22 p.m., Winfield and Lisbon responded to a brush fire on Hoods Mill Road.

5:38 p.m., Lineboro responded to a brush fire on Falls Road.

Feb. 5

9:19 a.m., Hampstead responded to a mailbox fire on Aspen Drive.

1:37 p.m., Reese responded to a brush fire on Sandymount Road.

3:36 p.m., Winfield responded to a brush fire on Braddock Road.

6:49 p.m., Gamber assisted Baltimore County onan electrical fire on Ivy Mill Road.

7:15 p.m., Manchester, Hampstead and Lineboro responded to a chimney fire on Main Street in Manchester.

Copyright © 2021, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad