Tonight's main event
Last night's highlights
* STREAKS: Philadelphia's Rick Tocchet has scored 30 or more goals for four straight seasons . . . Boston beat the Islanders 5-4 at Uniondale last night, snapping a six-game road winless streak (0-3-3) . . . The Flyers' 5-4 victory over Pittsburgh at the Spectrum snapped a seven-game home winless streak for Philadelphia.
* STATS: The Edmonton Oilers are 10-6-3 lifetime at Madison Square Garden . . . Brett Hull has eight goals and five assists in his last seven games . . . Philadelphia is 20-0-2 when it scores four or more goals this season.
* SHOTS ON GOAL: Pittsburgh's Tom Barrasso, who had allowed four goals in his last three games, allowed four in the first 14:12 at Philadelphia last night.
* SLAP SHOTS: Denis Savard, who as a Blackhawk had 38 goals and 68 assists in 70 games against Minnesota, scored Montreal's first goal and assisted on its second as the Canadiens won 5-1.
* SWINGS: Vancouver's Trevor Linden has 21 goals this season, matching his total of all of last season.
* SLUMPS: Last night's game between the Canadiens and North Stars at Bloomington, Minn., drew just 5,375 fans, the third-lowest total this season for Minnesota, which is last in NHL attendance. The North Stars are averaging 7,316 . . . The New York Rangers are 1-11-1 when the opposition leads entering the third period . . . The North Stars are 1-7-2 in their last 10 games.
* STATUS: Right wing Guy Lafleur of the Quebec Nordiques and center Bobby Smith of the Minnesota North Stars have been added by the NHL to its All-Star roster in the newly created senior category.
* SIDELINED: Montreal defenseman Petr Svoboda broke his left foot when hit by the puck in last night's game against Minnesota.
* FINAL WORD: "Intense isn't the word to describe tonight's game -- this was chippy." -- Calgary defenseman Jamie Macoun describing the Flames' penalty-filled 7-5 victory over Winnipeg that ended a three-game Calgary losing streak.