Hagerstown Junior College will be the site of indoor track and field meets Jan. 6 and Jan. 19 starting at 5 p.m. The Tri-State Track Club-sponsored events have been drawing 300 entries since adopting the field house as its home last year.
Competition will be in the high jump, shot put and pole vault and the 55, 200, 400, 800, 1,500 and 3-K runs. Entry fee per event is $3 for ages 18 and under, $5 for open contestants. Wayne Vaughn (733-6076) is the meet director.
* Jeff Hinte took the Harmony half-marathon in 1:22:20, enjoying about a 9-minute advantage on the field . . . Bob Yara grabbed seventh at the Rocket City Marathon in Huntsville, Ala., turning in a 2:21:01.
* The grade school cross country meet series conducted by the Howard County Recreation Department this fall proved a big success, boding well for high school teams out that way in the near future. For instance, Zack Tropf runs 2 miles in 11:29 already and he's only in the seventh grade.
* The Saturday morning 2-mile series in Patterson Park, sponsored by the Sri Chinmoy Marathon Team, begins with runs Jan. 5, Feb. 2 and March 2. All races start at 8 a.m.
. . . Next stop on the No Frills Biathlon Series of the Tri-Maryland Club is Jan. 13 in Salisbury, with a 3.5-mile run and 15-mile bike ride.
* RASAC has the St. Mary's 6-miler slated for New Year's Day at 11 a.m. . . . The date of the fabled Millrose Games in Madison Square Garden is Feb. 1 and the indoor meet is still looking for a major sponsor.
* Doug Kurtis eased to a 2:30:45 victory in the Tahiti-Moorea International Marathon and picked up $5,000 in the process, explaining "the island course was so beautiful, I wanted to enjoy the scenery as much as possible." Besides, the 38-year-old marvel from Detroit had another assignment dead ahead, the San Diego Marathon, where he finished 16 seconds behind Ben Martinez's victorious 2:19:03. Kathleen Smith paced the women with a 2:43:05 clocking in the latter race.
Other December marathon winners included Simon Naali, 2:17:29, Honolulu; and, Lee Chang-U, 2:12:10, Hofum, Japan.
* Runners can get a night workout on Wednesday evenings throughout the winter as the track lights at Anne Arundel Community College will be on from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. . . . Requests for entries into the lottery for the Cherry Blossom 10-miler in Washington April 7 are being accepted only through Monday (postmark) at Northern Telecom Race, Box 884, Middletown, Md. 21769.
* Saturday: Striders Anniversary 15-K, Quiet Waters Park, Annapolis, 10:30 a.m.
* Sunday: Father Time Frolic 8-miler, Loch Raven, 9 a.m.; Winfield Mile, Cranberry Mall, Westminster, noon.
* Dec. 31: Moet Midnight 5-miler, Central Park, NYC.
* New Year's Day: St. Mary's 6-miler, Bel Air, 11 a.m., 638-0235; Hangover Classic 8-K, Reflecting Pool, Washington, noon, 243-1291.
* Jan. 5: Charlotte (N.C.) Marathon/10-K.
* Jan. 6: Frozen Finger 5-miler, Hunt Valley, 9 a.m.
* Jan. 13: BRRC 10-miler, Lake Montebello, 9 a.m.; Medford Freeway 5-K, Westminster, 857-5154.