Five small businesses won Governor's Recognition Awards from the Maryland Small Business Development Financing Authority, a program of the Department of Economic and Employment Development. The five winners are:
* JCM Control Systems Inc., a Baltimore mechanical control company, for business growth and development.
* Abrams, Foster, Nole & Williams, a Baltimore accounting firm, for staff development and training.
* Imprint Inc., a Towson advertising specialty company, for product development.
* WW Electrical Contractors Inc., a Baltimore electronics contracting company cited for its unique management strategies.
* Edgewater Design Inc., a Baltimore interior-design firm, for market expansion.
The five companies were chosen from more than 40 nominations from state agencies and local businesses.
"The Governor's Recognition Awards honor Maryland's small businesses for their outstanding achievement and entrepreneurial spirit," said J. Randall Evans, secretary of economic and employment development.