POST OFFICE DEDICATED IN ELLICOTT CITY IN 1940
50 Years Ago (week of Dec. 8-14, 1940):
* The Ellicott City Kiwanis sponsored a minstrel show this week for underprivileged children of Howard County. The event at Ellicott City Elementary School on College Avenue featured a monologue, several skits and various musical numbers, all set against a backdrop representing a cotton plantation.
* Ellicott City's new Main Street Post Office was dedicated this week.
Postmaster Michael J. Sullivan presided over the ceremony, which included speeches by Representative Lansdale G. Sasscer, Judge William Henry Forsythe Jr. and representatives of the U.S. Post Office. Music was provided by the Dickey Textile Band, and a flag-raising ceremony was performed by local Boy Scout and Girl Scout troops.
25 Years Ago (week of Dec. 5-11, 1965):
* A Dayton deer hunter made a startling discovery this week while stalking a deer through woods off Haviland Mill Road below Brighton Dam near the Montgomery County Line: He found a metal box containing a skull lying on the ground in the woods. The hunter turned the box and its contents over to Howard County police, who later reported that they believed the skull to be human. The hunter stated that he had been in the same area of the woods the week before, but had not seen the metal box at that time.
* The Howard County Board of Education received an offer this week from a property owner to sell 111 acres located inside the boundary of Columbia's land holdings. The property, located on Route 108 between Route 29 and Waterloo Road, was owned by Mrs. Frances B. O'Neill, who suggested that the land be used for the proposed Howard County Community College or an office building for the Board of Education. The price of the land was set at $3,300 per acre, which made a total cost of $336,300 for the 11-acre parcel.
Information for this column was culled by contributing writer Diane Mullaly from the Howard County Historical Society's library.