Super Cholo finally wins as 3-year-old Colt takes Annapolis Handicap after missing Triple Crown races

LAUREL — LAUREL -- Long after the Triple Crown races that trainer Carlos Garcia had eyed hopefully, Super Cholo finally won a race as a 3-year-old yesterday.

The triumph came at Laurel Race Course in the $54,825 Annapolis Handicap, at the expense of heavily favored Chas' Whim, who ran fourth, and second choice Country Day, who struggled in next to last in a seven-horse race.


With Marco Castaneda aboard, Super Cholo dropped back to fifth on the final turn, then rallied to win by a nose over Temper Time. He paid $17.60 as fifth choice in the 1 1/8 -mile Annapolis.

The winning colt -- owned by Enrique Villa Garcia Martinez, a Peruvian who lives in Potomac -- ran yesterday equipped with a pin that holds his right hind leg together.


"This was going to be my Triple Crown horse," Garcia said yesterday of the colt whose name means "Super Peruvian" in Spanish.

"He was so good as a 2-year-old [he was voted top Maryland-bred male of his age group] that I let him down and took it easy, waiting to prep him for the [Kentucky] Derby.

"But he got so frisky that he kicked the wall of the stall and fractured the cannon bone in his right hind leg. They put a pin in it and we brought him back slow. I think he's as good as ever."

In judging the 1990 Triple Crown crop, Garcia said he believes Super Cholo was up to the Kentucky Derby, Preakness and Belmont Stakes fields. "He wasn't an Easy Goer or Sunday Silence, but none of the others were, either," the trainer said.

"I think he would have done well."

Asked about the colt's next start, Garcia said: "We're going to look around. There's plenty of races for him."

Said Castaneda: "He ran an aggressive race today. Turning for home, he didn't want to give up."

While Super Cholo was racing wide to win, trouble was developing along the rail. While Garcia and the owner waited in the winner's circle, the stewards posted an inquiry sign, and Andrea Seefeldt claimed foul against two horses on behalf of Reputed Testamony, who ran fifth.


She lodged objections against Wikki Up, who ran third, and against Chas' Whim. The stewards disqualified Chas' Whim and moved Seefeldt's mount to fourth.

Allen Stacy, who had Chas' Whim in front until the stretch, said his mount stumbled out of the gate. "The stumble may have bothered him. The pace wasn't fast," Stacy said.

Mike Luzzi, rider of Country Day, offered no excuse. "He ran hard last time," Luzzi said of that colt's recent victory.

Two well-regarded apprentices rode winners on the Laurel card yesterday.

The fifth-race winner, Really Me, was handled by Arkansas rider Shawn Payton, 18, who leads Laurel apprentices with 21 winners. He's from Hot Springs, Ark., with some tutoring by Pat Day, America's riding hero.

"I was tutored by Pat for two months before I went to Woodlands, the new track in Kansas City [Kan.]," he said. "I led all riders there, and I came straight here and tried to catch on."


Charles Fenwick III, who is 16, scored his first Maryland victory at a major track, aboard Classy Escort in the seventh.

He's the son of Charles Fenwick Jr., who rode Ben Nevis II to victory in the 1980 English Grand National.

"He could be real good one," said Francis Campitelli, trainer of Classy Escort. Trainer Eddie Gaudet said young Fenwick is much more advanced than many riders his age. "He's had lots of experience," Gaudet said. "He's young, but he's ridden a great deal."

Gaudet employed Fenwick last summer for two months and was instrumental in helping to get Fenwick started as a jockey.

Fenwick rides at 101 pounds.

* The Laurel stewards yesterday added to the woes of jockey Anthony De Silva by adding seven days to a 30-day suspension he received in Chicago. De Silva got a 30-day suspension at Hawthorne Race Course, starting today, for "failing to ride his horse, Mr. Valentino, so as to finish as near as possible to first and show the best and fastest race it was capable of." The Laurel stewards gave him seven days for allowing his mount to bother a horse Friday. They suspended him from Dec. 26 through Jan. 1, just after the Chicago suspension ends.


* Mario Pino had to cancel his five mounts yesterday, blaming food poisoning. Pino and his wife, Cristiana, both had stomach pains and said they believed the pains were from dinner Saturday night.