Some backyard brawls end in a shootout.

Although no guns were drawn in yesterday's opening round of the Class 4A Region IV boys soccer tournament, Broadneck did outshoot rival Severna Park when it counted most.

The Bruins took a 6-3 decision in a penalty kick shootout on their way to a 2-1 triumph at Anne Arundel Community College's Siegert Field yesterday.

Matt Weimer put the icing on the cake for the Bruins (7-2-4), placing a right-footed penalty shot into the lower left corner past Severna Park goalie Jason Zaks (10 saves), touching off a raucous on-field celebration.

The other Bruins who had successfully found the net in the shootout before Weimer were Jarett Smith, Dave Apple, John Williams, Mark Patrick and Jeff Vincent.

By virtue of their win, the Bruins earned the right to face the winner of top-seeded North County and fourth-seeded La Plata of Charles County, at a date and location to be announced.

"I thought that we'd have the advantage going into the shootout," said Severna Park head coach Don Gregg. "But we just couldn't put the ball in.

We just weren't focused enough."

"I'll tell you, we were very thrilled to get a chance to play Severna Park again," said an elated Broadneck head coach Kevin McMullen. "Take nothing away from them, they have a great program, and they've dominated the county for a long time. We knew that it would take an exceptional effort to beat them. And that's what we got."

Severna Park, winners of the last two regional titles, jumped on the scoreboard just eight minutes and 29 seconds into the contest, when Falcon leading scorer Brian Peterson (nine goals during the regular season) collected a pass from midfielder Darren Mallinson and rifled a left-footed shot into the left corner of the net.

A little more than five minutes later, Bruin midfielder Williams tied the game at one with a rebound off a brilliant save of a Brad Reinhart shot by Zaks.

"Zaks is just an exceptional goalie," Williams said. "We had plenty of opportunities to score, but he kept right on top of things. He just did a great job."

The Falcons (10-3) threatened to take the lead late in the first half when Peterson maneuvered his way down the left sideline and hit a left-footed crossing pass to midfielder Mick Cato. Cato's left-footed volley just missed its mark, whizzing by the left post.

Throughout the first half, the Bruins maintained a calculated rhythmic offensive pattern, while the Falcons chose to counterattack up the middle of the field and catch Broadneck napping. According to Gregg, attacking the middle was not the smart thing to do.

"We tried to take the ball down the heart of their defense, the middle, and you just can't do that against them," he said. "We wanted to spread their defense out and take smart shots, but it didn't work out that way."

The Bruins had several chances to win the game in the second half and the two overtime periods, but Zaks and the Falcon defense manged to dodge bullet after bullet.

In the first overtime, Williams hit a right-footed shot as Zaks was drawn out of the goal, but junior fullback Jamie Cornett was at the right place at the right time, clearing the ball away inches in front of the goal. Rich Aftoora's shot in a clogged penalty box also was cleared just inches in front of the goal, as Kevin Shultz booted the ball out of danger.

"I felt we were getting better chances than they were, but their backs and their goalie did an excellent job back there. I knew going into this one that it would either end up in a shootout or it would be a one-goal game in regulation or in overtime," McMullen said.

Copyright © 2020, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad