The Maryland Department of Natural Resources is proposing changes in non-tidal fishing regulations for 1991 that would provide additional put-and-take trout fishing areas and further protect the state's wild brook and brown trout populations.
The proposals would create 10 additional trout stocking areas in a total of eight counties, including three among Howard, Prince George's and Montgomery counties and a catch-and-release area restricted to the use of artificial lures at Gunpowder Falls.
Two new special fishing areas would be created in Frederick County's Carroll Creek for young people and those with vision impairments. From Montevue Avenue to Shookstown Road, fishing would be restricted to fly fishing only and catch-and-release regulations. From Route 15 downstream to the dam at College Avenue, put-and-take regulations would apply.
Public hearings on the proposals will be held at Garrett Community College auditorium in McHenry at 7 p.m. on Nov. 15 and at the Tawes State Office Building in Annapolis on Nov. 19 at 7 p.m.
Written comments may be sent to Dr. Robert A. Bachman, Tidewater Administration, C-2, Tawes State Office Building, Annapolis, 21401. Written comment must be received by the close of business on Nov. 30.
Trout proposals at a glance
Proposed new put-and-take areas
Allegany County -- Main stem of Georges Creek from its mouth upstream to Neff Run, Orchard Pond and White Sulfur Pond.
Carroll County -- Union Mills Pond.
Frederick County -- Cold Deer Pond, Woodsboro Community Pond, Culler Lake.
Garrett County -- Savage River main stem from the U.S. Geological Survey gauging station to Poplar Lick, Herrington Creek main stem and Deep Creek Lake.
Howard and Prince George's counties -- Patuxent River main stem below Rocky Gorge Reservoir in Laurel from the end of Main Street downstream to the B&O; Railroad Crossing and the south branch of the Patapsco River main stem from Route 32 at Sykesville downstream to its confluence with the north branch of the Patapsco.
Montgomery County -- Great Seneca Creek from Route 28 upstream to Route 355.
Washington County -- Brownsville Community Pond.
Management Areas proposals
* Change the fly-fishing-only section of the Savage River from Poplar Lick downstream to the USGS gauging station to a put-and-take fishing area.
* Create a catch-and-release trout fishing area restricted to the use of artificial lures only on the Gunpowder Falls in Baltimore County from York Road downstream to Bluemont Road.
* Change the creel limit and minimum size limits on the Savage River Trophy Trout Area as follows: creel limit, two per day; minimum sizes, brown trout, 18 inches; brook trout, 12 inches; rainbow trout, no minimum.
* Divide the Savage River trophy trout area into two sections, a fly-fishing-only section from the Savage River dam downstream to the lower suspension bridge and an artificial-lures-only area from the lower suspension bridge downstream to the confluence with the north branch of the Potomac River.
* Designate portions of Town Creek lying within the Green Ridge State Forest in Allegany County as delayed harvest trout fishing areas.