5 prisoners flee pre-release center 2 return, 1 caught


Five inmates, all with less than a year left to serve, escaped from the state prison system's Baltimore Pre-Release Unit early yesterday, correction officials said.

The inmates left the Pre-Release Unit between 1:45 a.m. and 3:30 a.m. yesterday, said state police Sgt. Gregory M. Shipley, spokesman for the Division of Correction.

The Pre-Release Unit on Greenmount Avenue in East Baltimore is a minimum-security institution, and more than half of the 213 inmates currently assigned there hold jobs outside its walls during the day, Sergeant Shipley said.

Inmates who "escape" usually fail to return to the prison from their job assignments, he said. "To leave the institution at night and under these circumstances is unusual."

Two of the inmates turned themselves in yesterday and one was picked up by police from the city's Eastern District. The other two remained at large last night, Sergeant Shipley said.

Officials at the nearby Maryland Penitentiary saw the first escaper jump from a 16-foot fence on the Eager Street side of the Pre-Release Unit about 1:45 a.m., Sergeant Shipley said.

Correction officers counted the prisoners and discovered that Blaine Green, 29, of the 2500 block of West Cold Spring Lane was missing, Sergeant Shipley said. Green had been serving six years for robbery with a deadly weapon and handgun violations.

About 3:30 a.m., penitentiary officials called again to say they had seen three inmates outside the Eager Street fence. After another count, unit officials discovered four inmates had escaped since Green fled.

They were Darryl Dabney, 27, of the 2300 block of Roslyn Avenue, serving 10 years for two handgun violations and a parole violation; John Hester Jr., 21, of the 400 block of East 23rd Street, serving 10 years for attempted second-degree murder; Michael Lewis, 21, of the 4000 block of Hilton Road, serving three years for two counts of theft, and parole and handgun violations; and Dwayne Jones, 29, of the 800 block of Exeter Hall Avenue, serving five years for drug violations, robbery, burglary and parole violations.

Dabney and Jones returned to the pre-release center yesterday, and Lewis was picked up by police, Sergeant Shipley said. Green and Hester were still at large.

Police also continued to search for an inmate who escaped from the Baltimore City Jail Saturday. Robert Perdue, 23, whose last known address was in the 300 block of South Collington Avenue, climbed out a window of the Jail Industries Building at 531 E. Madison St. He was being held on battery and deadly weapons charges.

Copyright © 2020, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad