D.C. jail officer slain in Baltimore


A Washington correctional officer was one of three men killed early today and yesterday in violence in Baltimore.

An off-duty city police officer was wounded and another officer was placed on administrative leave after fatally shooting a robbery suspect, police said.

The correctional officer, Frank Durham 3rd, 38, of Woodbridge, Va., was gunned down near Pennsylvania and North avenues as he sat in his car with his girlfriend. He worked at the District of Columbia detention center at Lorton, Va.

City police were called to the 2400 block of Woodbrook Ave. at 4:40 a.m. and found Durham in the car. He had been shot in the neck and shoulder. He was taken to University of Maryland Medical Center, where he died shortly after 10 a.m. today.

Witnesses told police Durham was sitting in his car when he was approached by two men in their 20s. One of the men pointed a handgun at Durham, demanded money, then fired two shots, the witnesses reported.

The robbers fled in a light green Chevrolet, possibly a 1968, '69 or '70 model.

Durham's girlfriend, whom police declined to identify, was not injured.

The off-duty Central District officer, Charles Carey, 22, was wounded early today while walking toward his home in the 2000 block of N. Fulton Ave., police said.

Carey was in civilian clothes about 1:10 a.m. when he was crossing Fulton Avenue, said Lt. James Rainey of the Western District. A man seated behind the wheel of a Toyota Cressida or Nissan Maxima parked in front of Carey's home yelled out what sounded like "What's up?" Rainey said.

Carey told police the driver opened the car door and fired a handgun at him. The bullet struck Carey below the right knee.

The gunman drove north toward Reisterstown Road. Carey told police he pulled out his off-duty service revolver and fired all six shots at the vehicle.

Rainey said the car continued on, but Carey may have hit the driver and the car.

Rainey said Carey's brother, Marvin Carey, heard the officer's cry for help and summoned an ambulance. Officer Carey was treated at the University of Maryland Medical Center and held for observation.

An hour before Carey was shot, city police were called to the 3400 block of Ayrdale Ave. in northwest Baltimore to investigate a report of gunshots.

Police found a 44-year-old man lying on the sidewalk. He had been shot in the chest. He was taken to Sinai Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Police said they have no evidence of robbery or drug transaction in the shooting. They withheld the identification of the dead man until his family could be notified.

In another case, police today identified a man fatally shot yesterday by a Western District officer as a New York City resident.

The incident began about 9:30 a.m. when a man stopped Officer Roscoe Lewis at Eutaw and Fayette streets and said two men in a nearby cab had just robbed him, police said.

Police said Lewis, 27, drove the man in his police cruiser a short distance and stopped behind the cab in the 100 block of N. Eutaw St.

There, Lewis ordered the two men out of the cab and asked each if they had robbed the man standing nearby.

Police said one of the men explained there had been no robbery but that money had been taken from the complainant as part of a domestic dispute. The men then returned the money to the complainant.

Lewis stood by as one of them got back in the cab to look for a set of keys he said he had left inside, police said.

Lewis later reported that when he looked inside he saw a handgun on the floor in the back of the cab and ordered the man to lie face down on the pavement.

Police said Lewis reached into the cab to retrieve the gun but the man jumped up and also reached for it. During the struggle, Lewis pulled out his service revolver and shot the man once in the chest, police said.

When the gun went off, the complainant and the mortally wounded man's friend fled the scene. They were being sought today, police said.

Moments later, an ambulance crew pronounced the man dead at the scene.

A family member today identified him as Dwayne E. Tucker, 22, of New York.

Detectives ruled that the shooting appeared to be justified. Lewis was placed on administrative leave pending a review by the city state's attorney's office.

Police said the gun found in the back of the cab was fully loaded.

Copyright © 2020, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad