Motel slaying suspects are arrested Telephone tip led police to residence in the city


Baltimore County police arrested a man and woman in connection with the Sept. 17 robbery and shooting death of a 30-year-old Philadelphia book saleswoman.

About 11 a.m. yesterday, police received a tip on the whereabouts of the suspects.

Shortly before 1 p.m., police arrested Rowland Keith Hudson, 34, of the 4900 block of Queensbury Ave., and Donna Denson, 26, of the 5900 block of Schering Road in a house in the 3200 block of Woodland Ave. in Baltimore. They were charged with first-degree murder, armed robbery and use of a handgun in commission of a felony.

Police said that Hudson is a restaurant worker and Denson is unemployed.

Hudson and Denson were being held at county police headquarters in Towson pending a bail review hearing today, police said. They had been charged over the weekend in arrest warrants.

"We got a tip that they were at that address and we went there and found them there," said E. Jay Miller, county police spokesman.

"This thing was so wanton and so senseless," Miller said. "This woman, Brown, was here alone -- only in town since 4:30 -- when she checked into the motel. And she was killed around 11."

Brown had checked into the Quality Inn Motel on Baltimore National Pike in Westview, police said. Her body was found outside her room by a security guard about 11:30 p.m. She had been shot once in the head.

Last week, witnesses told police that within hours of Brown's death they saw Denson allegedly in possession of several items that had been taken from the victim's purse. Police declined to describe those items.

Police believe that Brown's death and the Sept. 8 robbery and shooting of Katherine Dwyer, a kindergarten teacher at Thomas Jefferson Elementary School in West Baltimore, are not related.

Dwyer, 43, was shot when she refused to surrender her purse to a gunman who accosted her on the parking lot of the Caldor department store in the Westview Mall, across the street from the motel.

Her assailant fled in a dark car with two other men, police said.

Initially, police thought the two incidents were connected because they occurred in the same vicinity.

Copyright © 2020, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad