Two Cherry Hill youths charged in cabbie death


Two Cherry Hill teen-agers have been arrested and charged with the murder of a Diamond cab driver who was shot during a robbery in Cherry Hill Monday night, city police said.

One suspect, Moab Ezekunua-Bey, 17, of the 200 block of Cherry Hill Road, turned himself in at the Central police station shortly before 3 a.m. today, police said.

Several hours earlier, Joseph Corbin, 17, of the 3000 block of Southland Ave., was arrested at a house at Augusta and Frederick avenues in southwest Baltimore, police said.

Both youths are charged with first-degree murder, robbery and using a handgun in the commission of a felony.

Police said Corbin and Ezekunua-Bey were being held without bond pending a bail review hearing today in District Court.

The cabbie, James Armstead Lewis, 66, was fatally shot about 9:30 o'clock on Swale Road, where he had gone to pick up a fare.

Police said Lewis, a resident of the 2800 block of Clifton Ave., was shot while seated behind the wheel of his cab. His robbers got $5, police said.

Witnesses saw two males, one wearing a red leather jacket and the other a brown leather jacket, running from the scene.

Lewis, a cabbie for more than 30 years, was pronounced dead at the scene.

Police said the gun used to kill Lewis has not been found.

Detective Frank Barlow said round-the-clock work by Southern District police and information from witnesses provided investigators with the identities of the two suspects.

Police arrested three men yesterday in three other city homicide cases.

Kenneth Burton, of the 1600 block of E. Monument St., was charged with murdering a New York man who was shot in the head early Tuesday in the stairwell between the first and second floors of an apartment building in the Lafayette Courts public housing project in the 100 block of Colvin St., police said.

The victim, Kelly Dewayne Garvin, 20, of Staten Island, N.Y., was attempting to break up a fight when he was shot. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Burton, who was picked up by Officer Thomas Smith of the Southeastern District on an unrelated offense, was being held without bail at the Southeastern police station pending a bail review hearing today in District Court.

In another case, Brian Lamont Banks, 19, of the 2500 block of E. Eager St., was arrested yesterday and charged with murdering and robbing Glenn Malone, 27, of the 2400 block of E. Eager St., police said.

Acting on a tip, police went to a house in the 1500 block of N. Eden St. and arrested Banks, who also was charged with possession of narcotics.

Police said Malone was in the 900 block of N. Duncan St. May 18 when he was stopped by a man who demanded his money and shot him. Malone died later at Johns Hopkins Hospital.

In the third case, a man wanted in connection with the slaying of Bryant Keith Wallace, 21, of the 1300 block of Division St., gave himself up to police yesterday.

Douglas Glenn 3rd, 23, of the 4100 block of McDowell Lane in the Lansdowne area, showed up at police headquarters with his attorney about 10 a.m. yesterday.

Wallace was fatally shot July 18 in an apparent drug-related incident in the 2000 block of N. Monroe St., police said.

Another suspect in Malone's slaying, Juan Thompson, 24, of the 1500 block of Division St., was arrested July 24 and is being held without bond at City Jail, police said.

In another homicide this week, police have issued a warrant for the arrest of Ernest Clifton Taylor, 21, of the 1400 block of N. Broadway. He is charged with slaying Deno Leon Taylor, 27, of the 1000 block of N. Caroline St., who was gunned down in the 1700 block of Barnes St. Tuesday evening.

Police said Taylor's slaying appeared to be drug-related.

Copyright © 2020, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad