Bays beaten in overtime, 3-2, in North American title game Mobilio's goal lifts Vancouver


VANCOUVER, British Columbia -- Maryland Bays goalkeeper Stephen Powers endured a 90-minute workout -- dive left, dive right. It nearly was enough to save the Bays.

But Domenic Mobilio scored two minutes from the end of overtime to give the Vancouver 86ers a 3-2 victory in the first North American soccer club championship.

Powers' efforts kept the Bays, champions of the American Professional Soccer League, in the game long enough for Jean Harbor to tie it in the 68th minute and send the contest into overtime.

After Powers stopped a dozen good scoring chances, the Canadian Soccer League champion 86ers scored the winner on what might be considered a fluke. A clearance from inside the Maryland penalty area struck a Bays player and landed at the feet of 86er Dale Mitchell.

Mitchell, whose trade to the Baltimore Blast of the Major Soccer League is in limbo, walked in on Powers then slid a delicate pass to Mobilio, who plays for the Blast in the indoor season. He had no trouble depositing the ball into the unguarded net.

Powers was the only reason the game wasn't decided by halftime. He robbed Mobilio twice, including once on a penalty kick, and stopped John Catliffe, Carl Valentine and Mitchell -- each time diving to block a shot that appeared destined for a corner of the Maryland goal.

Valentine is the player the Blast sent to the Kansas City Comets for Mitchell, who is seeking to void the trade.

The Bays helped themselves in the second half, taking control of the game after the 86ers seemed content to coast on their one-goal lead.

Harbor, who had had the Vancouver defense beaten all night but got no support until the second half, collected a pass near the Vancouver goal, beat defender Doug Muirhead and fired a low shot past goalie Paul Dolan.

Maryland came close to winning the game in regulation time. After Harbor's equalizer, John Abe rocketed a shot off the Vancouver crossbar, and Scott Cook beat Dolan only to see his shot cleared off the goal line by Vlado Vanis.

In the first half, Powers blocked a point-blank cross by Catliffe, only to see Mobilio guide the rebound into the open net for a 1-0 Vancouver lead.

The 86ers made it 2-0 on Mitchell's breakaway shortly before halftime. Sloan then stole the ball from Vanis and beat Dolan to make it 2-1 at the break.

NOTES: Maryland's season is ending, but Vancouver still is in the middle of the CSL playoffs. The Bays won the APSL final, 2-1, in penalties Saturday against the San Francisco Bay Blackhawks. . . The crowd of 2,643 was one of the 86ers' smallest in four seasons. The game was televised live in Canada by the all-sports network TSN.

Copyright © 2021, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad