Bunk beds can be a source of injury among young children
A STANDARD piece of furniture in many families, bunk beds, can be more than a little dangerous. During a one-year study at the emergency department of The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, 68 children were treated for injuries that resulted from falls from the double-decker beds, according to a report in the American Journal of Diseases of Children. Age may have something to do with risk. About 70 percent of the injured children were younger than 6, said Dr. Steven Selbst and colleagues. (The Consumer Product Safety Commission recommends that parents not use bunk beds for children under age 6.) The majority of injuries resulted from a child falling from the top bunk, followed by ladder falls and hitting the side of the bed, the authors report. Only 29 percent of the accidents occurred between 10 p.m. and 8 a.m.
Families with psoriasis
The National Psoriasis Foundation is looking for families affected by the disfiguring skin disease to volunteer for a national gene-based research project. Foundation scientists want to study two types of families: Those with at least one person with bona fide psoriasis in each of three generations, and those families having more than one living member of a given generation with the skin disorder. For details about the project, write: Family Study, National Psoriasis Foundation, Box 9009, Portland, Ore. 97207-9009.
Aerosol product recalled
A Connecticut company is recalling its "Streamer Spray," an aerosol product that could catch fire if sprayed near an open flame, the Consumer Product Safety Commission announced. Streamer Spray, manufactured by Cotracto Inc. of Hartford, is used at parties to throw a stringy substance like confetti. Because the spray is intended for use by children, it is banned under the Hazardous Substances Act, the commission said. Tests prompted by consumer complaints confirmed the propellant in the can is flammable, the commission said. About ++ 5,500 cans were sold between November 1989 and January 1990. The commission said consumers should not use the product and should return it to the stores where purchased for a refund.