County homicide investigator Tom Rzepkowski is hoping an unidentified man and woman will have sympathy for Army Pfc. Michael Moss, who was left partially paralyzed and unable to talk after a man fractured his skull with a golf club last month.

Moss, 20, was leaving the House of Jose bar on Old Telegraph Road about 11:30 p.m. Aug. 24 when he overheard an argument between two men and a woman in a parking lot next to the bar. The woman was being slapped by one of the men.

When Moss offered to help the woman, one of the men was acting really "crazy" and swinging the golf club over his head, the investigator said. The woman refused Moss' help and told him to leave her alone or there would be "trouble," Rzepkowski said.

When Moss got into his car, one of the men hit him in the right side of his head with the golf club.

Moss is recovering from his injuries at the University of Maryland Shock Trauma Center, Rzepkowski said.

Rzepkowski wants the woman and the man who was not involved in the assault on Moss to come forward as witnesses.

"They might be scared to come forward," he said. "Moss was near death and they crushed his skull. He can't talk."

Two other witnesses saw the assault and tried to stop the trio from getting into a red Chevrolet Camaro IROC. The IROC lettering on the late-model car is thought to be two-tone silver and white.

Rzepkowski has managed to get descriptions of the trio from Moss, who is communicating by scribbling notes to investigators with his left hand.

The woman was described as white and in her mid-20s. She is about 5 feet 5 inches tall and weighs about 110 pounds. She has blond curly hair that hangs just below her shoulders.

On the night Moss was injured, the woman was wearing a loose black miniskirt that draped in the front and a black top that exposed part of her stomach. She also wore a silver "cowboy" belt with a large buckle, large hoop earrings, red high-heeled shoes and was carrying a small black purse with a skinny shoulder strap, Rzepkowski said.

Moss told investigators she was very upset and appeared to be drunk.

Both of the men with her were white and in their mid-20s. One was said to have brown hair combed back in the middle. He was wearing dress clothes and is about 5 feet 8 inches tall. The second man had dark hair that was short on the sides. He was slightly taller than the other man.

Anyone with any information about the assault should call Detective Rzepkowski at 222-3457.

Copyright © 2020, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad