Ralph Avery Kirchner of Arnold will present his family Bible to the Capt. Salem Avery House Museum in Shady Side, during a reception at 7 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 22 to honor retiring County Executive O. James Lighthizer, in recognition of of his support of the Shady Side Rural Heritage Society in the establishment of the museum.

An inscription on the flyleaf of the Bible reads, "Presented to Lucretia Avery by Wm. Avery, 1857."

Lucretia Avery was the bride of Capt. Salem Avery, and Ralph Avery Kirchner is his great-grandson. Capt. Avery came to Shady Side from Long Island in the mid-19th century.

A prosperous seafarer, he encouraged a friend, Joshua Hallock, to join him. Both families became prominent, and many of their descendants remain in the area.

Capt. Avery's home was established in 1860, and sold in 1923 to the National Masonic Fishing and Country Club Inc. It was purchased in 1989 by the Shady Side Rural Heritage Society to become a museum.

Copyright The Baltimore Sun 1990

Copyright © 2020, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad