The Laurel Trivia Nights hosted twice a year at Oliver’s Saloon and presented by The Laurel History Boys are popular events. How many of these questions that were part of last year’s contests do you know? Answers are below.
1. Name the 1940s-era diner that existed on Route 1 near Whiskey Bottom Road until the early 1980s.
2. What local planned city—other than Greenbelt—came before Columbia and Reston?
3. What Laurel High graduate went on to become the superstar lead guitarist for the heavy metal group Megadeath?
4. Name the actor who played the resident leprechaun at Delaney’s.
20. Which Hollywood movie had its world premiere at the Laurel Cinema in 1969?
Gidget Grows Up
21. In 1954, a horse named Landau that was entered in the third Laurel International caused a media sensation around the world because of who owned the horse. Who was the owner?
22. The 9th Street Bridge next to the pool at the end of Main Street that was swept away by Hurricane Agnes in 1972, was actually the second bridge on that spot. The original bridge was constructed in 1808 and was also swept away by flood waters in 1889 caused by what famous disaster?
23. What major department store opened at Laurel Shopping Center in 1982, only to go out of business nine months later?
24. What former Laurel Mayor was a singer in a band during high school?
25. According to the WSSC, if Rocky Gorge Dam completely falls down, how many feet of water will flood Main Street?
Answers: 1. Outriders’ Diner 2. Maryland City 3. Marty Friedman 4. Sammy Ross 5. C 6. Steward Manor in 1959 7. A USO club 8. The Turf Club 9. D 10. The Palms 11. Sidney Lust 12. J. Edgar Hoover 13. C 14. Peoples Drug, Woolworth, and Kresge 15. B 16. B 17. Giant Food and Bart’s Barber Shop 18. B 19. John Hinckley 20. C 21. Queen Elizabeth 22. The Johnston, Pennsylvania flood 23. Woolco 24. Bob DiPietro 25. D