xml:space="preserve">
xml:space="preserve">

Ghost town of Daniels in Howard County | PHOTOS

CSX tracks run through the original mill site on the Patapsco River in the town of Daniels, originally known as Elysville. The site is now home to several private businesses.
(Jerry Jackson/Baltimore Sun)

Ghost town of Daniels in Howard County | PHOTOS

Advertisement
Advertisement
Established in 1834, the village of 800 people and stores, churches, a post office, school and textile factory is now engulfed by vines and brush.
Daniels mill site
CSX tracks run through the original mill site on the Patapsco River in the town of Daniels, originally known as Elysville. The site is now home to several private businesses.
CSX tracks run through the original mill site on the Patapsco River in the town of Daniels, originally known as Elysville. The site is now home to several private businesses. (Jerry Jackson/Baltimore Sun)
Saint Stanislaus Kostka Church
A few arched stone window frames still stand at the ruins of the Saint Stanislaus Kostka Church in Daniels. The church, built in 1879, was struck by lightning in 1926 and burned.
A few arched stone window frames still stand at the ruins of the Saint Stanislaus Kostka Church in Daniels. The church, built in 1879, was struck by lightning in 1926 and burned. (Jerry Jackson/Baltimore Sun)
Saint Stanislaus Kostka Church
Trees grow in the ruins of the Saint Stanislaus Kostka Church on a hill above the town of Daniels. The church, built in 1879, was struck by lightning in 1926 and burned.
Trees grow in the ruins of the Saint Stanislaus Kostka Church on a hill above the town of Daniels. The church, built in 1879, was struck by lightning in 1926 and burned. (Jerry Jackson/Baltimore Sun)
Pentecostal Holiness Church
Graffiti covers much of the remaining walls of the Pentecostal Holiness Church in Daniels.
Graffiti covers much of the remaining walls of the Pentecostal Holiness Church in Daniels. (Jerry Jackson/Baltimore Sun)
Bridge pier
An abandoned bridge pier sits in the middle of the Patapsco River below the mill dam in Daniels.
An abandoned bridge pier sits in the middle of the Patapsco River below the mill dam in Daniels. (Jerry Jackson/Baltimore Sun)
Alberton Road
What is left of Alberton Road serves as a semi-paved walking path into the ghost town of Daniels in Patapsco State Park.
What is left of Alberton Road serves as a semi-paved walking path into the ghost town of Daniels in Patapsco State Park. (Jerry Jackson/Baltimore Sun)
Saint Stanislaus Kostka Church
Danny Wilson, of Cumberland, takes a photo of one of the arched stone window frames still standing at the ruins of the Saint Stanislaus Kostka Church in Daniels.
Danny Wilson, of Cumberland, takes a photo of one of the arched stone window frames still standing at the ruins of the Saint Stanislaus Kostka Church in Daniels. (Jerry Jackson/Baltimore Sun)
Daniels mill dam
The mill dam on the Patapsco River in Daniels was used to generate power to nearby textile mills which produced canvas tents for the Army in the 1850s.
The mill dam on the Patapsco River in Daniels was used to generate power to nearby textile mills which produced canvas tents for the Army in the 1850s. (Jerry Jackson/Baltimore Sun)
Pentecostal Holiness Church
Graffiti covers much of the remaining walls of the Pentecostal Holiness Church in Daniels.
Graffiti covers much of the remaining walls of the Pentecostal Holiness Church in Daniels. (Jerry Jackson/Baltimore Sun)
Daniels mill dam
The mill dam on the Patapsco River in Daniels was used to generate power to nearby textile mills which produced canvas tents for the Army in the 1850s.
The mill dam on the Patapsco River in Daniels was used to generate power to nearby textile mills which produced canvas tents for the Army in the 1850s. (Jerry Jackson/Baltimore Sun)
Daniels
A stone wall in the woods off Alberton Road was once part of a small mill town that straddled the Patapsco River. The town was built as Elysville in the mid1800s and changed names each time the mill changed owners. In 1940, the town became Daniels, named for the C.R. Daniels Company. In 1972, Hurricane Agnes flooded the Patapsco and destroyed many of the remaining structures.
A stone wall in the woods off Alberton Road was once part of a small mill town that straddled the Patapsco River. The town was built as Elysville in the mid1800s and changed names each time the mill changed owners. In 1940, the town became Daniels, named for the C.R. Daniels Company. In 1972, Hurricane Agnes flooded the Patapsco and destroyed many of the remaining structures. (Jerry Jackson/Baltimore Sun)
Saint Stanislaus Kostka Church
Danny Wilson, of Cumberland, takes a photo through one of the arched stone window frames still standing at the ruins of the Saint Stanislaus Kostka Church in Daniels.
Danny Wilson, of Cumberland, takes a photo through one of the arched stone window frames still standing at the ruins of the Saint Stanislaus Kostka Church in Daniels. (Jerry Jackson/Baltimore Sun)
Saint Stanislaus Kostka Church
A few arched stone window frames still stand at the ruins of the Saint Stanislaus Kostka Church in Daniels. The church, built in 1879, was struck by lightning in 1926 and burned.
A few arched stone window frames still stand at the ruins of the Saint Stanislaus Kostka Church in Daniels. The church, built in 1879, was struck by lightning in 1926 and burned. (Jerry Jackson/Baltimore Sun)
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement