A Howard County jury convicted a Baltimore man Monday for his role in a drug-related home invasion and kidnapping in Columbia earlier this year.

Adam Kentrell Richardson, 25, of the 3500 block of Southern Avenue., was found guilty of 19 counts of armed robbery, kidnapping, false imprisonment, assault, conspiracy and additional charges following a three-day trial in Howard Circuit Court. He was found not guilty on six charges.


County State's Attorney spokesman Wayne Kirwan said the verdict was handed down after five hours of deliberation.

Richardson is one of three men who allegedly invaded a Columbia home and kidnapped the two men inside on May 21. Police believe the plot was motivated by drugs.

The crime is linked to a Baltimore City homicide that occurred two days later, according to the charging documents in the case. Police believe the victim of the homicide, 34-year-old Baltimore man Gregory Daniel Price, may have been one of the other two suspects in the kidnapping case, according to the documents.

On May 21, Baltimore police found the two victims, both men, bound inside a residence at 3100 block of Baker Street in Baltimore. The two victims told officers they were abducted the night before from a residence in the 5000 block of Durham Road East in Columbia, bound, beaten and transported to the Baltimore residence, according to the documents.

The victims told police three men, one with a gun, burst into the Columbia home and wrestled them to ground, according to the documents. The three men ransacked the house in what police believe was an effort to locate drugs before zip-tying the duo, placing them in the back of a car and driving them to Baltimore, the documents state.

One of the victims – who police believe may have been linked to Price by a drug deal – was allegedly beaten by the assailants; he was kicked, punched and whipped and choked with a belt, the documents state.

On May 23, Price was killed in a homicide a few blocks from where the victims were being held. Using cellphone data acquired from Price's phone found at the homicide scene, police began investigating Price and Richardson as suspects in the kidnapping, according to the documents.

The cellphone data showed texts to Richardson implicating him in the crime, according to the documents. Kirwan said the texts were presented as evidence in the trial.

Both victims testified during Richardson's trial, Kirwan said. Richardson testified on his behalf and told the jury that his videotaped confession to police was a lie springing from a lengthy interrogation at county police headquarters, Kirwan said.

Richardson's bond has been revoked and he is scheduled to be sentenced on March 2.

This story has been updated.