A residence with historical significance to Columbia and Howard County burned in a two-alarm fire late Monday evening, according to Howard County's Department of Fire and Rescue Services.
At around 11:30 p.m., firefighters and paramedics were alerted to a residential fire in the 4900 block of Canvasback Drive, Columbia.
Crews arrived and found fire showing through the roof of the two-story home. Five adults and one child were in the home when the fire started. All six evacuated because of functioning smoke alarms, according to HCDFRS.
A second alarm was needed, bringing in more than 50 personnel. It took firefighters two hours to extinguish the fire.
Eight residents -- two of whom were not at home at the time of the fire -- were displaced and there were no injuries.
Investigators have ruled the fire accidental.
The fire caused an estimated $750,000 in damages to the home, according to HCDFRS.
According to the department, the property has historical significance to Howard County. The house was once a barn located on the land purchased by the Rouse Company. It was converted into a residence.